Ceiling Light, No Longer Working!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Upstairs Hallway Ceiling Light Fixture that for some reason now is not working even when I put in new bulbs. This fixture has (2) wall switches to it. One at the bottom of the steps and one
at the top of the steps. I just don't know where or how to begin to determine what this issue could be here to fix this fixture.
*Would there be a separate Breaker for this?
*Are light fixtures like this know to sometimes just....."go bad" and not work anymore?
*How can I troubleshoot this?
Thank You for any help provided!
Tom

Well, you have just 3 potential failure sources and those are power to the 3way switches, the switches or the fixture. So, if the fixture does not require some makeshift scaffolding to access, then loosen/remove the screws holding the fixture to expose the wire connections to the switch leg, then post a photo.

Besides what Snoonyb said could be the problem and you know that no breakers are tripped then there may be another reason. Just a wild guess. Is there an upstairs bathroom. Any possibility that maybe there is a GFCI in the bathroom that tripped and you just have not noticed it yet?

If the house is an older house are there GFCI receptacles elsewhere in the house?
It is possible that this light is on its own breaker but very unlikely. There may be other receptacles that are dead because of a tripped breaker that you just have not realized yet.

Double check the breakers. If the breakers don't look tripped then wiggle each one back and forth and feel the tension as you wiggle them. One that is tripped will be much more loose than others. If you find one like that push it to "off" and then back to "on".

Also, I used to live in Nazareth PA - Hey ex-neighbor :)

Besides what Snoonyb said could be the problem and you know that no breakers are tripped then there may be another reason. Just a wild guess. Is there an upstairs bathroom. Any possibility that maybe there is a GFCI in the bathroom that tripped and you just have not noticed it yet?

If the house is an older house are there GFCI receptacles elsewhere in the house?
It is possible that this light is on its own breaker but very unlikely. There may be other receptacles that are dead because of a tripped breaker that you just have not realized yet.

Double check the breakers. If the breakers don't look tripped then wiggle each one back and forth and feel the tension as you wiggle them. One that is tripped will be much more loose than others. If you find one like that push it to "off" and then back to "on".

Also, I used to live in Nazareth PA - Hey ex-neighbor :)
Thanks for the Valuable info. Let me chk. the breaker, etc. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back