Ceramic Tile or Laminate Wood Flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlWhiteGT

Reaction score
My House has Tile throughout except for the bedrooms. I want to ditch the carpet in the bedrooms but not sure if I should go with a ceramic tile or laminate wood flooring. I don't have any extra pieces of tile & don't think I can get the exact same color to match the rest of the house. That is one of the reason I was leaning towards laminate wood, plus I also like the way it looks. Not sure if it would like weird with 2 different colors of tile. What do you guys recommend???

Also, What thickness of Laminate Wood should I purchase if I do go that route. Don't know much about it but don't want something too cheap. I need it to last a long time.

Thanks!!!

Laminate all the way! The thickness is measured by mm 6 or 7mm are the cheapest grade but still looks nice if done correctly the hight mm grade the pricier the floor you need to calculate you vapor barrier in to the cost as well you can mix the barrier with the floor you don't need to get the type that goes with the floor home depot has the best prices.

Is it better to get it with the barrier attached already or does it not really matter?

Doesn't matter, you will also need the all in one flooring tools box has the block to tap them in with and spacers for your 1/4" space from the walls.

Do I have to remove the base boards or does the laminate butt up to the base boards?

You'll need to pull the baseboards and any quarter round. The laminate floor has to have room to expand and contract. You can't but it up against the wall, you will need a gap that the manufacturer recommends so it can "float". Then put your baseboard and quarter round back down over the gap. Also do not nail your baseboard or quarter round into the floor, nail it into the wall or you will hinder the movement of the floor.

Or you can leave the base trim do the floor an then put quarter round on its all on preference some say it's easier that way and if you like quarter round I don't do it that way but some do.

I wouldn't leave the baseboard down. Its going to make it more difficult. You'll need big quarter round then and it'll also make your baseboard look smaller because it's not sitting on the floor like the rest of your house, and if your floor moves enough and shrinks a little then you could have a gap. Taking them up first is just the proper way to do it and it gives you more room for movement. You will also want to trim the bottom of your door casings so that the floor will go under them. Small details make the difference and having smaller baseboard in one area of the house will stand out.

Latest posts

Back