closing a water pipe

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judy

Reaction score
I have a water pipe that I can't seem to get to stop, it's like no matter how hard I screw it to the right to turn off the water, the water will not stop, I also tried tightening the bolt at the base of it with a crescent wrench. Why would the water not be able to be stopped by the knob being closed?

Have you tried searching for other valves that you can tighten or used a wrench to shut it off?

Most valves have a rubber washer in them that seals the valve to stop the flow of water. Over time the rubber seal wears out and allows the valve to leak.

You will need to shut the water off at another valve, ahead of the leaking one. Remove the handle of the valve and unscrew the shaft of the vale to remove it from the body. Take it to a hardware store and get a rubber seal for that valve put it all back together and viola no more leak. You may be able to go to the hardware store and find the same valve and get the seals based on that and save the hassle of taking the pieces with you.

Latest posts

Back