Concrete Block Foundation - Anything to Worry About

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcyone

Reaction score
I'm considering buying an 1800 square foot house, single level, on a concrete block foundation. The concrete blocks surround the perimeter of the exterior walls. There's a crawl space underneath. I peeked in there and there are wooden cross beams supporting the floor, but I didn't see any center support. Is this anything to worry about?

The house is located near Prescott, AZ. I'm not sure if the lack of center support or risks of termite damage should be something to worry about? The concrete block walls themselves look OK.

There is an addition to the house on the back that has wooden stilts supported by concrete blocks underneath. There are signs of settlement on the addition as drywall cracks are present in the ceiling inside the house in that addition. Also, the front deck (Trex) is also supported by wooden beams on concrete blocks.

Not sure whether to avoid or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

As in, ANY, real estate purchase, ask for a copy of all available building permits, which are available from the local building dept.

Latest posts

Back