convert a bow window into patio door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat64

Reaction score
I am looking to convert an existing “bow “ window into a sliding patio door. The bow window is a what they call a “walk around window “ (floor to header ) with an opening
approximately 80 “ x 113 “ . Because of the size , the window ( arc) at its greatest distance protrudes about 20 inches from what would be the “inside” wall if it were a straight window.
So in a sense , if I were to use the existing opening, I would lose the square footage that the walk around portion of the window creates.

The current window is in the front of my home under a covered “raised “concrete porch. The step down to the porch is approximately 6 inches from the inside and then 96 inches to the top of the covered porch. In addition, the face of the house is brick . I want to “bump the doors out “ approximately 24-30 inches.

On the install,
I plan on using a lime stone slab (4” thick x 8” wide x length) as a base for the patio door and the side frame build out . This will be placed directly on the concrete porch in a cement “pool “ to level. I don’t want to lose any width on the window / door , so I would extend the frame approximately 6 inches on each side ( the “new length “ would then be about 125 inches) I would then come back 90 degrees and attach to the house going through the brick and into the vertical portion of the current header . Would then build a “ new header” approximately 24-30 inches out from the current one . Any exposed wood would be wrapped in window installation tape and then covered with exterior vinyl siding.
I am looking for comments, suggestions , or criticisms. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the site. The header above the window now is to short and will have to be changed and depending on the load above may have to be engineered.

And if you live in a freezing climate, you'll need a footing and stemwall installed under the new door's location. Not doing so will cost you big-time, and will be likely to cause you (and your heirs) all sorts of problems.

Latest posts

Back