Cover up exposed foundation flashing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strathglass

Reaction score
Hi all. New member here.
I have one wall that has some exposed foundation "flashing" - please see image.
What would be the best way to hide this?
It protrudes about 5 or 6" above ground. House is 9 years old.
Although this flashing is I assume part of the water sealing system for the foundation, and the black sealer on the foundation proper doesn't come up all the way to the parging,
...would I be OK to just pile up dirt against the wall up to the height of that black plastic border (below the parging) to hide all this?
Any other solutions or suggestions also appreciated!

i-NcGG7cV.jpg

The brown material is part of the water proofing of your foundation wall. It allows water to flow down to the footer drains and into the sump or footer drains that flow to daylight via gravity. The horizontal line above it is, I believe, a termite shield between the foundation and the wood structure above. I would not cover that up with soil.

One thought would be to dig out an inch or two of the soil and install metal edging about a foot away from the house. Then put in landscape fabric and install a layer of river pebbles or other decorative stone to cover the brown drainage channel, but keep it all below the horizontal line and below the parging. Others may have different ideas.

Back