Cross bore / Latch bore cosmetically ugly, is this fine with it sticking out

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corbino

Reaction score
I just bought a new construction home and noticed the builder did a VERY poor installation on the entry door in regards to the cross bore/latch bore where the door knob latch is. Will leaving it like this (in the pics) impact the mechanism/ performance of the door or am I fine leaving it as is? I’m guessing I can use a spade (drill) bit to enlarge the bore but I’d prefer not to… as I may make it worse.

The knob locks opens and does everything it should, it’s just bothersome to look at.7663C21B-E8AC-4F52-8CF0-CDD722E90E80.jpeg9D28DFC9-B200-41C4-8527-3EAD0616A53F.jpeg

You can try to take a hammer and just tap it into place. It should be flush

Tried tapping last night but it doesn’t stay flush for long, after turning (locking) the latch it comes right out of place. What is the consequences of it not being flush?

I would try loosening the handle assembly, and then driving the striker in. Then tighten the handle assembly, possibly shifting it slightly away from the edge of the door. On that type of striker there aren't screws to hold it into the door. It is held in place solely by the handle assembly where it passes through the striker. Doors typically come pre-bored for standard sets. I suspect this is just sloppy assembly by the installer not a poorly drilled hole.

I agree with sparky, the piece is made to be hammer into place. It looks like the hole was drilled too big. I would remove it and put something like plastic
wood to make the hole smaller , then let is set, then hammer it into place. you will see that there are ribs to hold in in place, this is what you want to engage .

Latest posts

Back