Deck Flashing Issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Keniff

Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone with flashing experience can help me out.

I recently purchased a house that has a flashing issue around where the deck meets the side of the house.

The deck boards are laid diagonally, so in an effort to reflash this area, the previous owner had to cut an access along where the deck meets the house and reflashed it in such a way where water was unable to escape. As you can see from the images, it rusted out the flashing and ultimately leaked.

The deck wraps around the chimney and I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly flash the inside corner so that water runs away from the house.

The ledger board terminates about 1/2" from the side of the chimney and there is a narrow 1" gap between the first joist and the side of the chimney. Needless to say, it's a tight area to work in. Take a look at the images. One is looking down on the deck framing while the other is looking up at the deck from underneath.

How would you go about flashing this area and tieing it into the ledger board z flashing so that it doesn't leak into the corner?
Image 1.jpg image 2.jpg Image 3.jpg

Back