Estimating Garage Remodel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camaron32

Reaction score
I plan on starting my garage redo in the spring, and has anyone come across a way to estimate how much a redo will cost? Years ago I came across a restoration "checklist" in Super Chevy magazine that covers just about all ascpects of restoring a car. I was wondering if someone has done this for garages. I know what I want to do, but I'm sure that there are a few things that I will have forgotten. Thanks for your help.

Well I guess the best thing to do here is to take a picture of your garage, layout your plans, and seek some good advice here in garage retreat. Cost of remodelling a garage will always depend on so many things such as the space of your garage, materials to be used, etc.

So take a quick shot of your garage and the details of the garage and I'm sure if you post it here, you will definitely get some good advice. ;) Good luck!

Garage remodel is a tedious one and also the cost of it depends on the materials you will use.

I think it would be difficult to come up with a check list considering the many differences in garages.

What I was looking for was just a bare bones list of materials that a person might use to redo a garage. Granted the final list and cost for a project would depend on what that particular person wants to do, but I was just thinking of general things like sheet rock, electrical wiring, insulation, etc. It's a good idea to take a picture of my garage and then post it and then get advice from there. Either way I don't plan on starting anything until Spring, so I have time to think about it.

I got three bids to have my shop built. It is just a 24' x 40' rectangle, with a bathroom, two roll-up doors, five windows and a man door.

The estimates ranged from $25k to $35k for a fully finished outside and framed inside building, with the contractor handling all subs, etc. That's $10/sq ft in variation.
When I used online estimators, they all came in at about $35/sq ft.

I now have closer to $50k in it with all of the electrical, plumbing, insulation, sheet rock, concrete stain, etc. etc., and I am not done yet.

Latest posts

Back