Help Support House Repair Talk:

Haselmaier

Reaction score
Situation:
  • 25 yr old house
  • Colorado
  • Desired R-50
  • Currently has loose fiberglass insulation
  • No issues with moisture, animal infestation, etc.
I've gotten two bids to air seal the attic and bring the insulation up to R-50.

Company A will move the existing insulation around in order to get the air sealing done. Then they'll blow in additional fiberglass to get it up to R-50.

Company B completely removes all existing fiberglass insulation, air seals, and blows in all new insulation (cellulose I believe.......I need to confirm).

Their bids are within $100 of each other. :oops:

Does one method seem more effective over the other? Any key advantages or disadvantages of each insulation material that makes one company's bid more attractive than the other?

Thanks.

Jim

Snoonyb

Reaction score
Welcome.
My 1st question would be; How much, in $, will you guarantee my cost savings will be, monthly, annually, that your CO will bond for?

The 2nd question will be; How many yrs. will it take for the cost savings to offset the present cost of the present system.

I'm old school, I'd have the ducts inspected and any air leakage fixed with duct tape and have unfaced batt insulation installed=lower cost, quicker cost recovery.

KISS principal.

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
In my limited experience, blown cellulose is too easy to accidentally compact if you are ever working up there.
Like weak cotton candy.
And blown fiberglass gets airborne and irritating too easily, once again only a problem if you have to work up there afterward.

I am a fan of unfaced batts as Snoonyb said.

You can move them away to fix something, like a bath fan or ceiling fan box or adding a circuit.
Then move them right back.

Also, either type of blown in tends to clog up the soffit vents, unless they do a nice job installing those foam chutes to maintain airflow from the soffit vents.

Steve123

Reaction score
A common opinion is that blown cellulose if preferred to blown fiberglass, in an attic, because the cellulose will have less convection loop losses.

Latest posts