Fire Safety

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by Admin, Apr 30, 2013.

  1. Apr 30, 2013 #1

    Admin

    Admin

    Admin

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    74
    This is a heads up. Please check your smoke detectors.

    My father sold the family home a few years back. It's the house my siblings and I grew up in.

    It's unsure what happened, and the person who lived there made it out safely, but a the six bedroom Spanish style ranch house I grew up in is no more.

    House.jpg

    Check your fire extinguishers to make sure they are up to date and test your smoke detectors.
     
  2. Apr 30, 2013 #2

    nealtw

    nealtw

    nealtw

    Contractor retired

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    Messages:
    23,891
    Likes Received:
    3,117
    That's sad.
    All smoke detectors should be replaced when 10 years old.
     
    Austin likes this.
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #3

    Admin

    Admin

    Admin

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    74
    It is. I had a lot of good times there.
     
  4. Apr 30, 2013 #4

    nealtw

    nealtw

    nealtw

    Contractor retired

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    Messages:
    23,891
    Likes Received:
    3,117
    Did they come up with a cause, looks like it was well underway before th FD showed up.
     
  5. May 1, 2013 #5

    Admin

    Admin

    Admin

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    74
    Not yet but it is being investigated. I hope to know more soon.
     
  6. May 21, 2013 #6

    Admin

    Admin

    Admin

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    74
    The report coming out of the fire says it was accidental. Still, what a nightmare.
     
  7. May 21, 2013 #7

    nealtw

    nealtw

    nealtw

    Contractor retired

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    Messages:
    23,891
    Likes Received:
    3,117
    accidental, must mean human mistake, nothing wrong with wiring or fuel?
     
  8. May 22, 2013 #8

    Admin

    Admin

    Admin

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    74
    Nope, there were oily rags or something that caught fire. That's what I'm being told anyhow. Turns out the house was in foreclosure.
     
  9. May 22, 2013 #9

    nealtw

    nealtw

    nealtw

    Contractor retired

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    Messages:
    23,891
    Likes Received:
    3,117
    Alot of people don't realize that oil filled rags used for wood staining can just catch fire with out any other heat source. Not that we know that was the cause, I just thought this would be a good place to say it.
     
  10. May 23, 2013 #10

    Admin

    Admin

    Admin

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    74
    That's what they are saying it was. I don't understand how that would happen, but it seems it does.
     
  11. May 23, 2013 #11

    nealtw

    nealtw

    nealtw

    Contractor retired

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    Messages:
    23,891
    Likes Received:
    3,117
    It is a good thing to talk about from time to time to time.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EreqG0_PLQ[/ame]
     
    Austin and WindowsonWashington like this.
  12. Jun 10, 2013 #12

    Admin

    Admin

    Admin

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    74
    Well final word it an accident. They will be removing what's left of the house soon and the memories it contains.
     
  13. Jun 10, 2013 #13

    nealtw

    nealtw

    nealtw

    Contractor retired

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    Messages:
    23,891
    Likes Received:
    3,117
    I went by my childhood home a while ago and found a four story apartment and the school I walked to (2 miles) is now across the street. Times change:)
     
    Austin likes this.
  14. Sep 20, 2013 #14

    Admin

    Admin

    Admin

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    74
    My brother showed up with some of the wreckage including the tomb stone of one of our dogs.
     

Share This Page