Floor Scenario

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axel99

Reaction score
What would you do if you had an Epoxy floor for a few years and then you decided you wanted some kind of tiles for it. Would you be able to apply the tiles on top of it or would you have to somehow break down the Epoxy and get back to the bare cement?

As long as the Epoxy was WELL ADHERED to the floor you can attach DIRECTLY to the epoxy. I would do a test patch and let sit for 2-3 weeks. IF you are going to have a failure involving epoxy adhesion it will show up generally within that time. if after a month you see no adhesion problems Go for it.

IF you see delamination, Check with your tile company to see if they have any alternate types of glue. Depending on the actual polymer the top seal is made of some adhesives will react differently with them.

if you are still having problems PM me and I may have some additional solutions.

As long as the Epoxy was WELL ADHERED to the floor you can attach DIRECTLY to the epoxy. I would do a test patch and let sit for 2-3 weeks. IF you are going to have a failure involving epoxy adhesion it will show up generally within that time. if after a month you see no adhesion problems Go for it.

IF you see delamination, Check with your tile company to see if they have any alternate types of glue. Depending on the actual polymer the top seal is made of some adhesives will react differently with them.

if you are still having problems PM me and I may have some additional solutions.
That was an informative post and I must say that it would be quite useful to many. I never knew that we could implement this way to know about the compatibility of the adhesion within 2 to 3 weeks, this could prove quite useful. Thanks for being informative on this.

Back