Framing on concrete issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulf615

Reaction score
So I need to frame a basement wall but where the concrete floor meets the concrete foundation wall there is a lump of concrete (I tried to draw a picture of what it looks like). So I'm wondering how I would put my bottom plate on with this lump in the way. Also the lump stretches about 3ins away from the wall and is about 1in or 2 high
VView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1437444975.433571.jpg

Sticks out bout 3 to 3 1/2 in in some areas and its bout 2 ins high. I also need as much space as possible so I'd prefer to not have to build the wall a couple inches out.

Sorry after asking I saw you did give that info.
Does it look like some one tried to add some for water proffing or something or was this just slopy floor work.

I did have a construction guy look at it and he said it looked liked there had been previous water damage so it must have been through water proofing

Well that would be an armature way of waterproofing because it wouldn't work. It it was added it should chip out fairly easy. But if you are not up for that, there are ways to hang the wall. Either way if you are finishing you want to be sure you don't have a water problem.
Are you going all the way to the ceiling or just high enough to hide a shorter section of wall?

You could chip it out a bit, but I've seen it recommended to leave a gap behind the wall in a basement. Although we all want as much floor space as possible, maybe this could work in your favor. Purely my unprofessional observation.

I would consider chipping it away. I also have a grinder. Is there a blade I can put on it to grind away the concrete?
As for the water problems. When I bought the condo there has been no water but I am using water proof building supplies for the bottom part of the wall just in case. Also I do plan on putting up a full wall all the way to the ceiling

So the area at the top of the wall should be sealed somewhat as a fire stop.
What is done here is The plate on top of the conrete is 2x6 and we add 2 2x4s. One tight against the original plate and one tight to that. That is the top plate of the wall and with a eight inch foundation you new wall i one inch away from the concrete wall. That should get you far enough away to clear any bumps in the wall, although sometime we have to skinny a stud to get clearence.
Using this method and if the upstairs is sq. so is the basement Just level down from the top plate to the floor to set the bottom plate.

I would leave the concrete lumps there, build the rest of the walls that have no lumps then in that section raise your bottom plate 3 1/2 inches and built that wall. You can then cut a 45* off the side of a 2x4 and place it under the bottom plate. Then pin a treated peice to the concrete wall right beside a stud so you can find plumb for the wall and tag it to the block on the wall.

Well first the ceiling is all closed off so I can't see any of the above floor joists or the top of the concrete wall. So how do I know where to attach the top plate to.

Last edited:
Have got an interior wall? then you could measure over from that in two places to get a straight wall. Your firestopping has been looked after already.

No there's no interior walls. It's just a room with a concrete floor and four concrete walls then a ceiling. It's also not that big because its the basement of a condo. It's roughly 23ft x 14ft

Back