Framing sister studs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeetwo

Reaction score
So my fully demoed bathroom frame is all out of square. In order to make the wall square, level, and plumb, we are using sister joists. However, the sister joists are sticking out from the sill plates — that’s the only way to make it level and plumb. Is this a problem? Some boards call for screwing every 8 or 12 inches in the perimeter and my studs are 16” o.c. Normally I screw the boards to the top and bottom plates as well but now I won’t be able to — what should I do? Same thing for the existing window as well — now the board will be much more outwardIMG_7909.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7904.jpeg
    IMG_7904.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7903.jpeg
    IMG_7903.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7907.jpeg
    IMG_7907.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7905.jpeg
    IMG_7905.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7906.jpeg
    IMG_7906.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Would have been better to trim the sisterboards to the same thickness of the original studs. For that matter, why sister them at all?

Using shims to true up would have been way easier.

Would have been better to trim the sisterboards to the same thickness of the original studs. For that matter, why sister them at all?

Using shims to true up would have been way easier.

Sistering because the old wall is not square/plumb — the wall corners are not 90. The reveal grows from one side to another to make the new wall square/plump for drywall/cement board and tile installation

If they were way out like it sounds like yours are and shimming a few spots wasn’t an option, then the sister studs I would have notched to lap top and bottom to reach the floor and ceiling for proper backing. Where you are now you could add little blocks.

Back