Garage Door

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by texasman, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1

texasman

texasman

texasman

Well just finished painting my house and now my garage door looks faded and out of place. Is there any trick to painting it or anything special i have to use. I used Sherwin Williams paint on my house can i use that on the door. Thanks for any helps its very much appreciated.

2. Mar 14, 2012 #2

kok328

kok328

kok328

I would look into using a paint intended for metal not wood (unless your garage door is wood).

3. Mar 14, 2012 #3

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

As KOK stated, use whatever is appropiate. If you go to the Sherman-Williams store and give them the paint code, they will advise you on the correct product to use on your door and match the color.

4. Mar 15, 2012 #4

texasman

texasman

texasman

ok thanks...ill head over there tomorrow...see what they say...thanks for the advice

5. Mar 22, 2012 #5

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

Most likly there going to suggest there Super paint or Duration. Both will work.
    The paint for steel as suggest is not the way to go. It's one thing to paint a steel I beam and a totaly differant process for a thin steel already painted item like a door that expands, flexes and contracts.

6. Mar 22, 2012 #6

texasman

texasman

texasman

I went by and talked to them and he said that as long as I use a good primer first then two coats of an exterior latex I should be fine. Does that sound right to yall?

7. Mar 25, 2012 #7

Rimo007

Rimo007

Rimo007

Hammer Wielder

That's what I've always used and had good results...exterior latex sticks well to garage doors providing you get the chalky old layer off before priming. Generally primer will handle the bond to the substrate and the paint will stick well to the primer and it has a built in flexibility to the paint.

I would suggest a good pressure wash to remove the chalk.

8. Mar 26, 2012 #8

texasman

texasman

texasman

Got a company coming out to pressure wash all the driveway and all the brick. Ill get him to spray the garage door down also while hes there. I planned on before priming scrubbing it down with a water/clorox mixture to clean it very well. Also whats the best way to get the part of the garage door that u cant see the seams between each sets of the door. If that makes sense. Thanks for the advice its greatly appreciated. Would like my first house to look pretty good.

9. Mar 26, 2012 #9

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

The joints open as the door goes up so stop the door at each place when a crack open and paint that crack and wait for it to dry before moving to the next one.

10. Mar 26, 2012 #10

texasman

texasman

texasman

Roughly how long should i wait before moving onto the next joint.

11. Mar 26, 2012 #11

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

There should be dry time on the can, anything shorter and you could cause a sticking problem.

12. Mar 27, 2012 #12

Rimo007

Rimo007

Rimo007

Hammer Wielder

I would also use two very thin coats in the crack area to make sure they dry completely...To tell you the truth unless you are changing the color of the door, the paint in there should still look good. Its not usually subjected to the same weathering and sun fade as the exterior of the panels and may be in good shape still.

13. Apr 21, 2012 #13

Workaholic

Workaholic

Workaholic

I paint garage doors all the time with a quality exterior paint. Clean, scuff and paint, as you raise the door you will get into the cracks and the edge sealed area.