Garbage Disposal Replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WasVilla

Reaction score
So, for decades, the replacement process of a disposal has been standard. After assembling the strainer mounting hardware and connecting the power cord, the moment of truth is when you connect the disposal to the mounting assembly from underneath. The mounting ring has to mate with the three slide up-ramps and is rotated to lock the disposal in place.

Or so it was.

Now, Insinkerator has a new and "better" design. You don't know it until you are crammed under the sink and shoving the disposal upward. Their "improved" design has a surprise. If you expected the old technique of holding the disposal with one hand while spinning the mounting ring with the other, IT WILL NOT WORK. The new mounting ring design only rotates 3/8" and stops! Why? Because the new technique allows you to hold the disposal with two hands, shove it up to the mounting hardware and YOU TURN THE ENTIRE DISPOSAL counterclockwise to grab the up-ramps. Then you are "finished" ... ??

I called BS on this. There is a small tab on the mounting ring that is supposed to prevent the ring from moving while attaching. Using my angle grinder, I removed that tab easily. Then I attached the disposal in the traditional manner quite easily.

Sometimes, product "improvements are more trouble than they are worth. This video is the old school install process

R&D makes millions of $ to design a better mousetrap. Glad to hear you found a work around.

Latest posts

Back