Getting stains off a "molded" door?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestBentley

Reaction score
The interior doors of our house are what appear to be "molded" wood doors - they aren't the hollow kind, but instead of wood showing, they have a thin layer of white fake wood grain showing. They've gotten stained from various things (we aren't sure what - house is a foreclosure) and I was hoping there might be a way to get them bright and white again without having to repaint. Does anyone have any handy tips on cleaners or tools that are especially good at getting these doors back in shape?

If a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser won't work then you will need to repaint!

Will they even paint? The molded faux wood finish came in that white color, it wasn't painted on that we can tell.. but good tip about Mr. Clean! I'd heard those magic erasers were fabulous!

The white finish could actually be the prime finish. This would stain more than actual finish coat. If its' a finish coat it is probaly a flat white with a slightly rough feel to it (they are usually sprayed at the factory) . If so the soils will dig in and hold to the surface very well. If they are solid and not hollw core it's very possible they are an material such as MDF with the wood grain pressed into the face of the product and sprayed to protect from moisture entering the finished product. Wish you well on the cleaning process.

Hmm, the coat on there feels fairly slick, like glossy paint to me - so you think that's actual a prime and we could clean it up and repaint it? I'd love to have bright white doors without buying new ones, we've got enough expenses!

Latest posts

Back