Grout and Caulk questions - with pics...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke232

Reaction score
Questions:

1) Have I removed enough of the old grout, to allow proper adhesion for the new grout? In the pics where you can see some grout still in there, I have taken it out in those spots, so there is a recess there, it's just hard to see in the pics. Or do I need to remove more?

2) Are these gaps too wide to caulk? Do I need to put some sort of material in there to fill up the space before caulking?

Grout pics:
grout1.jpg

grout2.jpg

grout3.jpg

Caulk pics:
caulk1.jpg

caulk2.jpg

caulk3.jpg

You need to grout the field tile on the wall but yes, the area next to the tub is fine for caulking.

A little hint... Place blue painter's tape 1/8 inch above the space to fill with caulk, and another strip of blue painter's tape below the space to fill with caulk (the small, the cleaner!). Then apply the caulk, working it in well with your finger. Once the edge is feathered well, simply remove the blue painter's tape and you will have a very clean, professional looking caulk line.

Cool, I was planning on doing the painter's tape thing for the caulking, looks like a good method...

But those gaps aren't too large for caulk alone?

Also, is enough of the grout removed or do I need to remove more?

Although I can't see all the grout line, what I do see looks good enough to caulk. A few more hints:

1) make sure the area is completely dry. Any wetness will stop the caulk from sticking.
2) spit makes an excellent lubricant for feathering the caulk edge. Just wipe off any caulk from your finger before sticking your finger in your mouth!

Hey thanks!

But sorry, the grout question is separate... I was wondering if in the first pics enough of the old grout has been removed so that I can re-grout?

Sorry...too much typing with too little coffee. As long as you removed a bit of grout from everywhere, you should be fine.

Grout is for the field tiles. If you have used a grout saw, then great! If not, get one and re-trace the grout lines to remove loose grout. Remember, if the grout line is thin (< 1/8") then you can use unsanded grout. If the line is thicker (> 1/8") then sanded grout is required.

Use caulk for the margin between the tub and tile. The tub flexes when filled with water and/or people. This will break the seal if you use inflexible grout. The tape line will give you a clean look and the caulk will remain flexible. Just remember the grout should be sealed at least twice and the caulk will inevitably have to be removed and redone as a maintenance thing.

SAW.jpg

Grout is for the field tiles. If you have used a grout saw, then great! If not, get one and re-trace the grout lines to remove loose grout. Remember, if the grout line is thin (< 1/8") then you can use unsanded grout. If the line is thicker (> 1/8") then sanded grout is required.

Use caulk for the margin between the tub and tile. The tub flexes when filled with water and/or people. This will break the seal if you use inflexible grout. The tape line will give you a clean look and the caulk will remain flexible. Just remember the grout should be sealed at least twice and the caulk will inevitably have to be removed and redone as a maintenance thing.

Cool, thanks. I used an oscillating tool with carbide grout removal bit already, but it was harder going than I thought it would be. There are still bits of grout left here and there, but I think it's pretty close. I will go over it again with a utility knife and then do the re-grout.

Although, I'm having trouble finding the exact grout I should use. When I look on home depot I can't even find bathroom wall tile grout on there...

Although, I'm having trouble finding the exact grout I should use. When I look on home depot I can't even find bathroom wall tile grout on there...

There is no specialized wall grout. Grout is grout. Your concern is color and whether it is sanded or not. In your case, I see it as white and unsanded.

As NIKE says: "Just do it"

Home Depot usually has nearly a half row of grout. Small boxes to large bags, sanded and non-sanded. Nearly every color in the rainbow.

Cool, thanks, now I see it... I'll probably get the 25lb. bag over the 10lb. to be on the safe side.

What's the best kind of container to mix it in? some sort of shallow tray maybe?

I use a 1 gallon bucket. That 25 pounds will be about 15-20 pounds too much for you.

Latest posts

Back