Help diagnosing garage door sensor problems.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianeS

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should go here or in windows in doors so hopefully this post is okay.

My garage door sensors are giving me a really hard time. Initially, the door would not close and just flashed the lights as a warning so after determining everything else was okay, I figured I'd replace the sensors. Now my garage door will close sometimes but other times it won't. It's the same as before, it just flashes a code at me and won't come down. I've checked that the sensors are not blocked, eyes are clean, and the sender and receiver lights are both on. Is it possible I just a got a bad pair of sensors or could something else be causing this?

Sensors rarely go out unless a wire is broken. I'd recommend you unplug your opener for 5 minutes, then trying to reset the lift controls. Also release the door from the opener while half way open. The springs should hold the door without lifting up or dropping down. If they move, get the springs adjusted before anything.

All openers are different. I have a Genie. The lift and drop controls are on the side of the opener. I'd recommend Youtubing your specific opener for instructions.

Back