Help wiring two baseboards in parallel with one T-Stat

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andro_peter

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm in Montreal, Canada.

First, I just want to install everything and then call an electrician to validate and connect to the breaker.

Two baseboards in parallel with one T-Stat

Can you folks tell me if my installation (see draw enclosed) is correct? I was told to do it that way but the breaker shuts down (I know I said I'd call an electrician, but was too much currious). The only thing I was not told is whether I leave the black and red baseboards wires twisted together on each ones, but I think this is my problem.

Also, T-Stat wiring diagram enclosed.

Attachments

• bboard1.JPG
    bboard1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 19
  • tstat.JPG
    tstat.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 18
Hello i am also from Montreal, go habs,
Your wiring diagram is wrong.
the tstat only cuts oneside of the line.
also it depends on the total watts of the each heater and the size of the wiring.please give us those sizes

Hello i am also from Montreal, go habs,
Your wiring diagram is wrong.
the tstat only cuts oneside of the line.
also it depends on the total watts of the each heater and the size of the wiring.please give us those sizes
The baseboards are 1000W each on a 15A/240V breaker with 12/2 cable

You better check with an electrician before you make to many changes. I know several electricians and none of them would sign off on work they didn't do.

Your wiring and breaker look good. I will try to describe the wiring you should use in words ,
from the panel you should go to the first heater , you will make connection inside the heater box.
to one of the hot wire and go to the tsat and then come back to the heater. now connect that same wire to a connection on the heater .
Now run another wire to the other heater from the first heater .
the other wire in the first should go other side of the wire going to the second heater .
I know this is hard to under stand but i do not know how to do a drawing on the internet .
what the administrator said is true about getting an electrician to check the work is true . find the guy first . before doing all the work for nothing .

Your wiring and breaker look good. I will try to describe the wiring you should use in words ,
from the panel you should go to the first heater , you will make connection inside the heater box.
to one of the hot wire and go to the tsat and then come back to the heater. now connect that same wire to a connection on the heater .
the other wire in the first should go other side of the wire going to the second heater .
I know this is hard to under stand but i do not know how to do a drawing on the internet .
what the administrator said is true about getting an electrician to check the work is true . find the guy first . before doing all the work for nothing .
Thanks

aren't the wires at the end of the heaters being connected together, creating a dead short?
should they be capped off individually instead of tied together?

I have two 2000W baseboard heaters wired to a single wall thermostat. The heaters were on different walls so romex from both came to the thermostat box. The heaters as shipped shipped were wired like below, BTW L1,L2 are line 1&2 not load 1&2.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 4.38.19 PM.png

2000w/240v = 8.3A, the 15A breaker shouldn't trip. The 'stat rating should handle a resistive load of 10A or so.

Each heater should read [{240v}^2]/1000w = 58 ohms. In parallel the two should read 29 ohms. Check this B4 you power up.

At one point, I had 240V at both baseboards, but no heating.

I finally have setted them up in serial connection. Works fine, but the heating is not optimal

I finally have setted them up in serial connection. Works fine, but the heating is not optimal
When you had 240v at both was the return connected properly from each heater?

No, they're running at half voltage & 1/4 power level.

Connecting them in serial is not the right way to go. You will not get nearly the heat output. If you selected heaters based on the area and BTU they will put out to heat a certain area of space you will find that the heaters will not provide you with that level of heat in this case.

Bringing your power to the thermostat and then to one heater, make your connections and then take your next run to the following heater and connect right where you are now in the first heater with wire nuts and then take that line and go to the next heater. Or as shown earlier in a post if you have access and run from the thermostat to a junction box and run both lines to both heaters from the junction box is just as good.

And you only connect wires to one side of each heater.

There might be six ways to hook up 240v, a 'stat & two heaters. Only one way is right. I think you've been thru 2 or 3 already.

I'd worry that you've damaged the 'stat, tho it may still seem to work. There can be a "cost" to wiring things incorrectly.

I still vote for verifying the proper resistance before applying power. That would also verify whether the open wires indicated on the right side of the diagram are for wiring through or need a wire nut.

If you ever want to work on your main panel, read up on Arc Flash first.

I still vote. . .
No democracy here. :(
Flat out Autocracy! :D
Pull up a chair, open a Bud Light & watch what happens next. . .

And for you psych-oriented lurkers, :D this is
"Process commentary, the use of comments on here-and-now behavior and the immediate relationship between people."

Last edited:
Two baseboards in parallel with one T-Stat

Can you folks tell me if my installation (see draw enclosed) is correct? I was told to do it that way but the breaker shuts down ... The only thing I was not told is whether I leave the black and red baseboards wires twisted together on each ones, but I think this is my problem.
Your first drawing looks correct... except I would expect the doubled circuit breaker to be wired to T1 and T2 of the thermostat and the Load, the Junction Box/Heaters, to be wired to L1 and L2 (Loads 1 and 2)
Also, one set of red/black wires in each heater stays together... the heaters can be wired from either end...
If a doubled 15 amp 240 volt breaker is tripping, it may be defective... is that the kind of breaker you're using?

Sorry, this is becoming far more complicated than it should be people.

Andro peter: This is actually easy to do. No need to call an electrician verify or to make the connections.
Connect your wires at the breaker. Also most electricians will not agree to do that unless they run the romex, install the thermostat and heaters and connect everything as should be. Reason is they don't want to take the liability on their insurance for your work.

Run your romex to the thermostat and then to the first heater. You can connect the wires to either side of the heater. Leave the other side of the heater as is. Once you connect there then take a romex from there to the next heater and connect your wires there.

Be sure at the breaker that one wire goes to one screw on the two pole breaker and the other wire goes to the other screw on the twobreaker. Then connect your ground to the ground/neutral bar if it is a main panel or the ground bar if it is a sub panel.

Your heaters are 240v. Use a two pole thermostat and not a single pole.
The instructions with the heater should show you how to connect the romex to the thermostat. Basically you are connect the thermostat as if it was a switch. The thermostat will either open or close the circuit.

Eddie t
"I still vote for verifying the proper resistance before applying power. That would also verify whether the open wires indicated on the right side of the diagram are for wiring through or need a wire nut. "
There is no need to verify resistance. The heater can be wired from either the right or left side. Whichever side is not being used should remain wire nutted as is.

"Use a two pole thermostat and not a single pole."

Yes for safety because both conductors are 120v above ground.

Back