Help with switch/plug combo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tthew

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace a light switch (in a closet, controlling a single overhead light) with a Leviton switch/plug combo (model 5225-I). I want the new switch to continue controlling the light, while the new plug remains constantly powered.

When I pulled out the current switch I discovered there are 3 romex cables running to the box (labeled in the images as X, Y, & Z). All three white wires are together under a single cap (X-w, Y-w, and Z-w). All three black wires are connected to the current switch. Y-b runs to it's own brass screw. X-b and Z-b are each connected to the other brass screw (one via screw and the other plugs in the back). (The 3 grounds are all also together and connected to the ground screw on the switch).

Aside from moving the ground wire to the ground screw on the new switch/plug combo, where should run the other wires? I think I need to use one of the whites that are currently capped but not sure where to connect it. There are two black screws, one silver, and one brass on the new switch/plug combo. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
FzPS8Tz

KLfrPFJ

You need a white pigtail from the white bundle to the silver screw.
The two black wires on one terminal go to the COMMON screw.
The single black wire on the other screw goes to the switch screw.

Back