Hobbies other than home repair.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe he will let us come over and play with it

I have an ak wood stock I would like the 2nd amendment engraved on

il_570xN.912713743_3y13.jpg

I went to Hobby Lobby today and picked up a handheld sewing machine. I had one 30 years ago but it broke before I was ever able to use it (bought it before shipping out overseas and the movers broke it). I never managed to find another one until today (I didn't look very hard though). I'm going to have to find some uses for it. First thing I'm going to attempt is to sew some tabs on to the backs of my shoes so the heels won't fold down/compress when I'm pulling them on.

I was also at Hobby Lobby today. I'm surprised I didn't see you there! ;)

I can't stand that estrogen ridden place!

That place comes in handy for my antique currency collection stuff and knobs for my projects

Thanks everybody. I'm having some fun for sure. The photograv software showed up today. Engraved the Grandkids into some high density foam.

Ethan & Jaden foam.jpg

Gary, that is awesome!

Havasu, the one near me has a wide variety of stuff so it doesn't scream of estrogen. They had some comic book stuff-- like tin things with comic book covers printed on them Batman, Spiderman, etc. And Star Wars stuff too. The Storm Trooper hologram was so cool. I wish I'd taken more pics (I'll have to upload them when the internet isn't slow-- thunderstorm is making the connection bad). And they have stuff for making model cars. Oh, and dinosaurs! They had some really cool dinosaurs. They even had Velociraptors with feathers. My brother and I spent a long time in the section with the Star Wars and comic book stuff. LOL.

My mom likes to hang out in the section with beads and crap. I like to go to the section with wood crafts.

I got some little wheels that I'm going to paint to be escutcheons for some drawer knobs. I didn't like the old wooden knobs and when I pulled them off they pulled the paint off the edges and the new knobs didn't have a part to cover it up-- and the screws are a bit too long so they won't fit tight. I solve both problems and add a decorative element with the wheels.

Thanks Frodo & Zanne. I've been experimenting with laser speeds & % to see what works & what doesn't, The Grandkids photo is my lab shot. This one has the most detail so far. I get the best results at low power & 2-3 passes rather than one single hotter pass on the high density foam.

Ethan & Jaden foam1.jpg

Thanks Frodo & Zanne. I've been experimenting with laser speeds & % to see what works & what doesn't, The Grandkids photo is my lab shot. This one has the most detail so far. I get the best results at low power & 2-3 passes rather than one single hotter pass on the high density foam.
Wow! That turned out great!
What kind of surfaces/materials can you do the laser burning on?
Does it just burn on the surface or can it etch?

Thanks Zanne. It depends on the material. I can etch most metals. About the only thing that stops it is if the metal is too thick, as it acts as a heat sink & the laser can't get the temperature it needs to burn the surface.
I played with cutting acrylic today. It cuts through 1/2" pretty easy.
I wanted to see what i could make. Gave it some thought and pretty soon the gears started turning. :clap:
I made a thing-a-ma-bob.

gear box 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Zanne. It depends on the material. I can etch most metals. About the only thing that stops it is if the metal is too thick, as it acts as a heat sink & the laser can't get the temperature it needs to burn the surface.
I played with cutting acrylic today. It cuts through 1/2" pretty easy.
I wanted to see what i could make. Gave it some thought and pretty soon the gears started turning. :clap:
I made a thing-a-ma-bob.
That is so cool!!
I wish I could think of something cool to be made.
I wonder how thick the metal can be to make stuff.
On a weird side note, I found out that a place called Furniture Traditions is shutting down. They made solid wood furniture with hidden compartments and cool stuff. They are having a clearance sale at their warehouse. Not sure if anyone is near there, but if anyone is interested http://furnituretraditions.net/inventory/

I liked their Alder Hill stuff but it was too pricey and I don't have space for more stuff.

I love to look at pictures of furniture and plans for building them even though I don't yet have the skill to make the stuff.

Save

Thanks Zanne. Tonight I burned a photo of an old unit along side the road on Rt 66. It's in the Petrified Forest National Park, AZ. The only stretch of Rt 66 that passes through a national Park.
Yes, I am having fun. :)

rt 66 peterified forest.jpg

Thanks Zanne. Tonight I burned a photo of an old unit along side the road on Rt 66. It's in the Petrified Forest National Park, AZ. The only stretch of Rt 66 that passes through a national Park.
Yes, I am having fun. :)
I hope you keep sharing pictures of these. They are so cool. Love the texture around the old vehicle.
To clarify something, did you cut out the little plastic gears? Or did you just use the laser to make the writing on the clear plastic?
Save

All cut & engraved out of a sheet of .25" acrylic. I need to redesign the gear teeth a little, to make it operate smoother. I have plans to build a more complex gearbox when I get a chance. I'll post what I do next. Glad you like them.

Thanks Chris.
I did a little photoshop work to correct a couple things I didn't like with the first Rt 66 shot. I added a woodgrain background since it was taken at the Petrified Forest National Park. Then I got the idea to set up files for the edges. My first 5 sided engraving job, high density foam. This laser is the best thing since sliced bread.

Rt 66 PF gen 2.jpg

Rt 66 PF gen 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back