Hollow core door resizing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the door is composed of a finighable material such as luan, oak or birch, as a for instance, I use some fine surface tape, the strike a line with a utility knife and strait edge, then cut with a 40 tooth blade, pull the tape and lightly sand with 200 grit.

If the door is masonite, strike a pencil line and cut away, and sand.

The advice above is the way to do it. (except that I would say use finer than 40 tooth blade, if you have one)

But if you are asking if you will cut past solid framing, I think its unlikely.
But if you do, you could make a filler strip and glue it in.

The advice above is the way to do it. (except that I would say use finer than 40 tooth blade, if you have one)

But if you are asking if you will cut past solid framing, I think its unlikely.
But if you do, you could make a filler strip and glue it in.
I had a I'd size door in a storage closet that I had to cut down. I cut up into the hollow core, removed the veneer from the cut piece and slide it into the hollow core portion if the door. A couple finish nails and glue, all was good.

Or you can do like Zannej and just have your pets scratch/chew off of the bottom half of the door for ya, no work required on your part!
🤣

I have the opposite situation. A friend took the carpet out of his sitting room and the door is too short. He only uses the room on occasion and keeps the door shut in the winter. I offered to glue a suitable filler strip (or molding) to the door but he just uses a towel.

You guys are hilarious. I'll give it a go when its warmer outside, I'll have to check my blades. I need to put 1/2 osb down in that weird room that I plan to use as an office. It has some serious crunch in one spot when you walk on it and we are all overweight so i need to fix it. The current door wont open once i do that. I also have some peel and stick carpet i am putting down so i figure 3/4 to one inch should work. That way i also dont have to deal with hinges and all that. I'm hoping to do this on my next stretch off (10 days from now).

How wide is that piece at the bottom (on average?) It would be spectacular if it still had a little left in it after the cut. I do have a plastic door sweep that I can attach to it to make it a tad sturdier.

I have the opposite situation. A friend took the carpet out of his sitting room and the door is too short. He only uses the room on occasion and keeps the door shut in the winter. I offered to glue a suitable filler strip (or molding) to the door but he just uses a towel.

I have a couple of doors currently that are too short. Makes me wonder if this was some sort of Jim Walter's home or prefab of some sort. It was built in 1979. All the door facings remind me of trailers that I have lived in in the past

How wide is that piece at the bottom (on average?) It would be spectacular if it still had a little left in it after the cut. I do have a plastic door sweep that I can attach to it to make it a tad sturdier.
1-1/2 to 2" usually, depends on the mfg. It's not hard to fix if you cut into the core.

Latest posts

Back