Hops - suitable for deck shade?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhholladay

Reaction score
I'd like to train some type of vine as a canopy over a 23' X 28' pressure treated deck. I heard a brief segment about training Hops and am wondering if that would make a suitable cover for the deck. Any ideas?

Don't know about hops but "Silver Lace" is an amazing grower. It is sometimes called the "Mile-A-Minute" plant, very popular in England.
I will shed in the winter tho.:)

Thanks, Bud. I googled the plant, and I think this is one of the vines already in my yard. I have to pull it out of my azaleas a couple times a year. I suppose it would be a good cover if it's growth could be contained/controlled. I'll do a bit more research.

I'm thinkin' you can trim the leader to slow it down and the other sprouts will flourish.:)

I highly recommend hops - they look great on a trellis or pergola and are thick enough to create great shade! They grow very quickly, have beautiful foliage, and smell incredible when they are ready to harvest.

Not to mention, if you're into home brewing, you could plant the variety that would be best for the type of beer you like and you'd have a huge savings at the brew supply store.

Hops would be perfect for shading a deck in the summer. They grow quickly and get very tall, farms use 30ft poles for these things. They smell great. They make a great gift if you have a beer making buddy(if you dont have one... you need one, or DIY).

Latest posts

Back