How do I know if I have a post tension slab in my garage?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
I want to cut out a section of my garage floor but don't really want to hit a cable if I have one.

you shoulc be able to see the bolts/ends/nipples (whatever they are called) along the outside edge of the slab

paul

Are you talking on the outside foundation of the garage?

What makes you think you have a post tension slab. They usually trench the foundation and pour concrete on a So Cal tract home.

Nothing makes me think, I just was not sure on how to find out, just incase.

In your area, I would think not. Drill some test holes and go to town. Why the hole in your garage? Bunker? Lift? My new home? Underground firing range? A place to bury our wives?

yes. around the outside edge of the slab. these are then ends of the cable, with one end having a big nut to adjust the tension of the cable.

that is how my post cable slab was at my home outside of houston years ago

Are you talking on the outside foundation of the garage?

yes. around the outside edge of the slab. these are then ends of the cable, with one end having a big nut to adjust the tension of the cable.

that is how my post cable slab was at my home outside of houston years ago

Thanks! I wasn't sure how it was done.

In your area, I would think not. Drill some test holes and go to town. Why the hole in your garage? Bunker? Lift? My new home? Underground firing range? A place to bury our wives?

Yes to all of above.

Cool. Start digging.

Back