HVAC / Central Air Problems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorPlan

Reaction score
This is the 2nd Season we've had Central Air installed , have a problem with Condensation Build Up.. Here in Eastern Ontario we've had an ongoing Heatwave that has had the A/C running at its peak.. Past few days the Indoor Temps have been reading 3 / 4 degrees higher than the Desired set temp and the Air not feeling Cool inside.. Previous to this , till now all was good from the start of the season with the (Cool To Setting @ 20.5 C') With the Air not feeling Cool , Wife lowered the Setting to 19'C which in turn created condensation build up to form at the bottom of the Furnace and onto the floor.. This being Saturday were waiting till Monday to call for an HVAC Tech to sort it out.. Any ideas what were facing would be appreciated, Cheers Thanks

Hi, there should be a drain from a pan under the evaporator coil probably going into a condensate pump. Not sure how yours is setup.
maybe you could post a pic of your setup, is your filter clean?
Geo

Have you had your unit serviced this year? There are several things the technician will do during a semi-annual preventive maintenance check-up including: check refrigerant levels, clean the coils, check/replace filters, clean the condensate drain. Having your units serviced regularly will keep them running at their best and should keep them running longer. I'm pushing 22 years on my units, and I know I'm going to have to replace them soon. My independent HVAC tech has done a great job keeping them running with minor repairs over the years. Most of my neighbors have replaced their units already, some years ago. You can DIY some of the maintenance, clearing bushes away from the outdoor unit, cleaning the outdoor unit of any debris, and replacing the filter every three months. If you have the really deep filters located at the air handler I think those can go 6 months between changes.

What is the outdoor temperature? HVAC units are designed to handle about 20F (11C) below outside temp. So if you're pushing 35C (96F) the unit will be working hard to reach 20.5C (69F). If everything isn't in top shape it may not be able to get there. I air condition to 78F (25.5C) and use ceiling fans to keep the air moving in the occupied rooms. I'm in the hot and humid SE USA.

Back