I designed and installed a washer spill pan w/drain. BillsCustomsLLC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi all. I designed and installed a washer drip pan in our mudroom because I've seen washers fail and destroy entire levels of homes, walls, and even put water down to the basement!
I knew it's totally pointless to put a pan under a washer that doesn't have a drain and I had to figure out how to make this work for me as a homeowner!
Challenging task for one guy I must admit but I had absolutely no where to run a drain. Fully finished basement also didn't want to tie into the standpipe drain because the pan was designed to catch washer AND standpipe in case the main drain backs up! Stood the pan up against wall slowly eased the pan's edge under as I lowered it and it cuffed the standpipe p-trap like a glove. So now where to route the drain? Although I must say this is probably against code, but as a homeowner had no choice.
Drilled pan, installed fitting, caulked pan lip to the back wall, I ran about 6ft of 1" PVC behind the dryer and through the wall into a small utility closet against the backtrim so it's hidden, and out the wall to a 90. If there's water event, it should drain out the pipe and onto the garage floor which is hell of a lot better than the inside floor. There's about a 24" fall as it leaves the house so drafts are not really an issue. I still put a screen and a small hinged foam door to avoid any air seeping in or out. Have a look
BillsCustomsLLC. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_5771.PNG
    IMG_5771.PNG
    198.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5772.PNG
    IMG_5772.PNG
    223.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5773.PNG
    IMG_5773.PNG
    225.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5774.PNG