Ice/water in detached garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckev70

Reaction score
New to me...Minnesota. so i have an deattached 2 car unheated garage. it has a few outlets on GFCI inside. after a recent short snowmelt and refreeze, discovered a layer of ice covering 75% of the garage floor. Deepests 1 1/2-2" in one corner. There is an alleyway adjacent to this structure which is lower than the surface of the frozen alleyway.

At sometime the blizzards and freezing Temps will warm up again and may cause even more water to enter until the garage unless the road and ground unfreeze and reabsorbe the snowmelt. there seems to be some low spots outside the garage that accumulates water but not exactly sure since it's all current frozen.

What's the best approach to removing the water once the snow melt start?

My thoughts:
1. 2" Submersible sump pump placed in one of the outside "holes" and to pump onto alleyway
2. A pump in the garage floor to pump water out to alleyway. This will only help remove any excess water that prenetrated the sill plate.

The real fix (in spring or summer) would need exterior drainage and/or a permanent submerged pump.

Latest posts

Back