If TP sticks to a certain part of the inside of the toilet bowl (above waterline) it doesn't get flushed away

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
Just what the title says: I've got a toilet in my new house where if even a single square of toilet paper gets stuck on one part of the inside of the toilet bowl (the front-right side, if that's worth anything), it won't get washed away when I flush. The toilet works fine otherwise, doesn't back up, removes waste without issue, doesn't leak, refills flawlessly as far as I can tell.

Is this a leveling problem? Is it scale or some other obstruction in the rim/washdown holes? (I'm pretty sure our water is fairly hard; a drop of our tap water leaves quite nice white mark if it evaporates on a dark surface.) Something else? How do I troubleshoot it, and how do I fix it?

Is s there a recommended way to do that, or just go at it with a scotch-brite pad or something?

Have you held down the flush handle until all the water in the tank has been released? Many times the flapper will stop water flow prematurely, stopping the needed water to reach all the rim jet holes.

An easy way to clean the rim jet holes is to dilute bleach with water 10 to 1 ratio, and pouring directly into the flush tube, which is the open tube protruding up from inside of the tank. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then inspect with a mirror to determine if the rim jet holes are clear.

Is s there a recommended way to do that, or just go at it with a scotch-brite pad or something?
A piece of metal coat hanger to clean out the holes and a mirror to see what your doing, the holes are up under the rim.

I would try something like a bamboo skewer which wouldn't scratch the porcelain.

Back