Installing a kitchen faucet in a tight space

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbutts

Reaction score
We have a corian sink that is molded into the countertop. It leaves a ridge under the counter that is very close to the faucet hole and causes the washer and nut on the current faucet to be cocked at an angle. The Kohler faucet we want to install is higher with a pull down sprayer and has a larger washer and locking ring. Is the best path to add thickness on the underside of the counter with something (dense plywood? other?) so that the locking ring can clear the ridge by the sink? Other solutions? I suspect this will be an issue with any faucet given the current one was clearly fudged.
Thanks
image.png

Corian is a solid product so my guess is the ridge is in there as a stiffener.

If it was just interfering a little it could be trimmed with a dremel tool, or maybe a flat could be ground on the clamping ring.

If the threads are long enough making a spacer would be a good idea. If you go to a place that handles Corian they might have some scrap pieces you could make the spacer from as they also sell it in sheet form and there is a glue you could use to attach the spacer. If not I would find a piece of something plastic and waterproof to make it from and glue it in place with construction glue.

The length of the drop piece on the new unit will dictate how you do it.

It just looks like there is a bump where the sink was bonded onto the Corian.

You could easily make a C shaped spacer from a scrap of plywood, the open end can face the bump.

Thanks all. The Corian scrap is a good idea that I think will work - I think the threaded section falls pretty far below the sink. Thanks for the input.

Back