Installing a vanity mirror in my bathroom?

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by TramondKrick, Aug 16, 2012.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 16, 2012 #1

TramondKrick

TramondKrick

TramondKrick

Hi all,

I am remodeling my bathroom and installing a new vanity mirror above my sink. I have been told that i can "glue" it to the wall over the textured paint. I am not to sure about this and could use some advice on mounting the mirror properly and so that it doesn't show any hooks or hangers.

Thanks in advance,
    Tramond

2. Aug 16, 2012 #2

kok328

kok328

kok328

Use a mastic designed especially for mirrors.
    It has the rated holding power and will not remove the silver backing that makes a piece of glass a mirror.
    Look for Mirror Mastic at any big box store.
    Apply it in dabs about 3/8" of inch thick, press the mirror evenly into place and walk away (scary I know but, it works).

3. Aug 17, 2012 #3

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

Plate mirrors are out of date. The modern style is picture framed mirrors that hang on the wall. Mirror mastic is the preferred adhesive IF you install a plate mirror but why do it? With a framed mirror, you can change out the look much more easily for redecorating -- plus it looks so much more upgraded.

http://www.mirrormate.com/pages/framed-bathroom-mirror-65.html

I would urge you to think twice about this . . . ;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  4. Aug 25, 2012 #4

jmc0319

jmc0319

jmc0319

I have to agree with Villa on this. I purchased a house that had large mirrors above the bathroom vanities. I bought frames from Mirror Mate. They were extremely easy to install. Plenty of styles to choose from and they look great.