Is this some sort of backsplash?? What will be under it??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie Graham

Reaction score
check out the photo.. bumpy texture. This is in a rental property I just bought. In an ideal situation I will just pry it off and have a wall behind I can paint?... right..... Ideal....

Attachments

• 30442689_10156466037037755_8061705072595173376_o.jpg
    30442689_10156466037037755_8061705072595173376_o.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 24
That is probably glued on when you go and try and peel it off the paper of the dry wall will come off making painting a real burger of a job.

Dammit. What kind of person would do such a thing! Dam you 70's.

2nd question: Can you apply tile to pealed dry wall in its place?

Welcome.

Have you attempted to remove the molding to determine if the product could be FRP?

Have you tried to sand the texture, because it could be a stipple paint.

That looks like those plastic (vinyl???) sheet products that they used to use mostly in commercial bathrooms. I agree they are probably glued on to the wall, and we're also used to hide a wall that Hadid other problems (holes, bad texture, crumbling plaster, etc). Try removing it carefully and simply scrape whatever glue is left on the wall. If the wall is in really bad shape, it's not a big deal to remove the existing, and re-drywall it. Or, if you are planning to replace it with tile, remove it, scrape the glue, and then use joint compound to flatten the wall, and then tile.

Welcome.

Have you attempted to remove the molding to determine if the product could be FRP?

Have you tried to sand the texture, because it could be a stipple paint.
That horizontal molding at the top tells me it is sheet goods rather than stipple paint.

Sanding will also tell you if the product is FRP or another type of surface coating.

Sometimes removing the trim ring around the waste line and/or the angle stops is revealing.

That is most probably FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic). It is an inexpensive, water proof sheet which is glued to the wall. The edges are capped with specialized trim. It is commonly found in commercial applications such as restaurants. Rare in residential. If you remove it, the wall will get torn, requiring skim coating. BTW, as a rental, you might think twice about keeping it. It does minimize maintenance and painting. However, its not the prettiest stuff around.

Back