Issue with Wall Sconce base that is smaller than junction box

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’ve come across an issue with installing some linear LED wall sconces that I need some help with.

They cannot be installed into a standard junction box as the mounting base is a small diameter. The offshore seller advised that they can only be installed on the wall by drilling holes into the drywall and attaching the fixtures mounting plate on the wall with wall plugs. I’m not an electrician but I think that the Canadian electrical codes won’t allow for an install with no junction box. The diameter of the base is only 2 ½” so even the smaller 3 ¼” junction box would be visible in behind the sconce.

Does anyone know of a smaller junction box or a workaround that I could use to cover the junction box.

bqKTwmQ.jpg

6HMoYDe.jpg

2zMXxLV.jpg

My 1st ?, where is the instructions for a 120V power source?

I would bury a cover plate with a center KO, drill holes in the cover plate for the mounting bracket, sparkle over the cover plate and proceed.

I would mount to a metal cover plate for rigidity but cover the plate with an ⅛" or ¼" thick plywood or hardboard disk (sprayed matte black) to cover the gap. If you can't find a suitable disk at a craft store here's a cutter for a drill.

Carbide Tip Adjustable Circle Cutter

Another option and what I would do since I have a lathe would be to turn wooden rings dimensioned to friction fit the sconce housing.

Last edited:
I bought an LED fixture for the bathroom from IKEA and it was a similar deal. I mounted it the way they suggested and considered the part number 2 can the junction box.

As mentioned above make sure you get the 120V correct wires connected. They may well be the same wires but look into it.

I bought an LED fixture for the bathroom from IKEA and it was a similar deal. I mounted it the way they suggested and considered the part number 2 can the junction box.

As mentioned above make sure you get the 120V correct wires connected. They may well be the same wires but look into it.
Good idea! It was prolly the intent but just not made clear in the instructions.

Latest posts

Back