Kenmore 253.77060516 air conditioner fan not coming on

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMHmedchem

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Kenmore 253.77060516 window unit that it about 2 years old. I has been used a total of about 10-12 times since it was purchased, so it is absolutely ridiculous that it is not working flawlessly. There is power to the unit and it turns on. It sounds like the compressor is running, but there is no air flow whatsoever. I have tried all of the fan settings and nothing helps. I have hit the reset button on the plug as well.

It was 98 degrees here yesterday, so it would be nice to have AC that actually works.

Any suggestions?

LMHmedchem

You might have a bad capacitor.

They often die during a brown out, or when power comes rushing back in after a power failure.

The capacitor gives the fan motor a boost to help it start turning, and to keep turning.

There also is usually one to help the compressor start running.

The capacitors can be dangerous to handle, don’t try to replace them yourself.

Try unplugging the plug from the wall outlet for 1/2 hour, and while unplugged press the ON and OFF buttons several times.

Also, make sure you are not in TIMER mode or POWER SAVER mode.

Make sure you are in a fast enough fan speed setting.

Clean the big foam filter that sits right behind the main front panel.

I wouldn't just start throwing money/parts at it until it works, you need to troubleshoot it and then determine what needs to be done. Start with checking for voltage at the fan wire connections to see if it is a bad fan motor or not. Capacitor can also be checked with a meter and do not pose a danger when shorted before handling; of course a bad capacitor is harmless. It's an inexpensive part so people always say replace it to find out that it was not the problem.l

You might have a bad capacitor. They often die during a brown out, or when power comes rushing back in after a power failure.
It seems like this is a leading candidate for the problem. It is absolutely idiotic that an air conditioner that has been used less than 12 times total has anything wrong with it whatsoever, unless it was drooped down a flight of stairs or something. This unit has a surge protector on the cord and is also plugged into another surge protector. We have allot of lightning around here in the summer, so everything of value is already on a surge protector.

Try unplugging the plug from the wall outlet for 1/2 hour, and while unplugged press the ON and OFF buttons several times.

Also, make sure you are not in TIMER mode or POWER SAVER mode.

Make sure you are in a fast enough fan speed setting.

Clean the big foam filter that sits right behind the main front panel.
I have done all of that with no change. This unit literally looks brand new. There is no dust in the filter at all.

Unfortunately, I am recovering from spine surgery so I can't do much to investigate this since I can't remove it from the window. There is a number on the until to call, but there is no way that Sears is getting any repair business to fix their brand new air conditioner. I will probably have to call someone else to fix it.

LMHmedchem

The “surge protector” on the cord and in the outlet are more likely gfci protectors.
Ground fault circuit interruptor protection.
Meant to shut off the power if there is any current leakage which could cause an electric shock to a person.
Air conditioners have some water in them, so modern units have that gfci plug, just like you see on a hair dryer.
These do not provide any protection against current surge during lightning or brownouts or power failures.
You might have an external surge protector power strip or outlet adapter, but there are good ones and bad ones, some can only handle a weak surge.
And after a surge, they usually die.

Last edited:
Maybe it is still under warranty?
If Sears is still even in business?
Window a/c units often have a five year warranty on the main components, like the compressor.

Back