Kitchen cabinets vs hardwood floor

Discussion in 'Decorating and Design' started by emky, May 6, 2010.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. May 6, 2010 #1

emky

emky

emky

Hello all, this is my first time posting so I hope I am in the right spot! ; )

We are having a home built for us and the process will begin in June, so in the meantime I am preparing all the details as far as color, style, etc. I am pretty easy when it comes to this bc I usually know exactly what I want, so it doesn't take me long to make a decision. The one thing that I am having a problem with is contrast in the kitchen between the kitchen cabinets and the hardwood floor that will be in there. I like cherry-toned wood so the cabinets will be cherry stained maple. And the floors will be a cherry-ish color too. I am not sure which to make a darker shade (the floors will be hardwood throughout the main floor). I am thinking the cabinets should be a bit darker than the floor, but I just wanted some input so hopefully someone can help me out : ) The countertops will be a black granite if that helps any. Thanks so much for any advice!

2. May 7, 2010 #2

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I hope you're planning to put a lot of light in that kitchen; sounds overall dark to me.

3. May 7, 2010 #3

emky

emky

emky

Yes, the walls will be a warm white tone..there will plenty of white contrast to make the cherry pop. I am sure what I am going to do is make the cabinets a bit darker than the floors so they stand out and so the floors don't drown the kitchen. I was just looking for some reassurance, that's all.

4. May 7, 2010 #4

frozenstar

frozenstar

frozenstar

Yep that sounds like a dark kitchen. Anyway, IMO, I'd simply prefer for the darker cabinets. Also, it should blend well with the wall paint.

5. May 7, 2010 #5

emky

emky

emky

Yes, that would be a darker kitchen - cherry is dark. My taste is traditional....I love dark wood. It will be beautiful. Thanks for the opinions : )

6. Jun 3, 2010 #6

tremblay

tremblay

tremblay

I find it is always best if there is some contrast between the cabinets and the floor. It will not look right if they are exactly the same. I don't think it matters which is darker.

Now, since your counter tops are dark, I think it may be best to make the floors lighter.

Why not have dark counter tops, and dark wood cabinets with a lighter hardwood floor.

I have seen this done in many homes and looks stunning.

Dan,

Calgary Hardwood Flooring | Signature Floors
    Calgary Hardwood Flooring | Valentino Exotic Floors

7. Jun 17, 2010 #7

hotiso

hotiso

hotiso

You guys posting about having a darker kitchen because of the color scheme just got me to re-evaluate my ideas on doing this exact same job. I was going for a saddle colored wood with a black semi smooth textured counter top.

You need light in the kitchen :)

8. Jun 18, 2010 #8

noah_678

noah_678

noah_678

Member Sponsor

Hello,

In my point of view dark kitchen is not so well . You have to use lightened kitchen. Thanks for sharing this problem to me and i hope more that type in future.

thanks !

_________
    Free Woodworking Beginners Guide

9. Jun 18, 2010 #9

granite-girl

granite-girl

granite-girl

A lot of times people will contrast everything, meaning darker floors, lighter cabinets, dark countertop. Then everything kinda stands out on it's own. I would try to get different colors on the wood floor & cabinets, more of a contrast. Otherwise it'll all look the same color or it'll look like you tried to match & just missed.

Good Luck

10. Jun 18, 2010 #10

handyguys

handyguys

handyguys

I would try and narrow it down to a few choices and then hold up some flooring samples next to the cabinet samples and see how it looks. I think a contrast is in order. If they are too similar but not exactly the same then it would look like a mistake.

Here is a kitchen I did for my parents.
    [​IMG]
    more pics here
    Episode #65 – A Handyguys Kitchen

11. Jun 18, 2010 #11

granite-girl

granite-girl

granite-girl

pretty kitchen