Kitchen soffit removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgarcia6445

Reaction score
Hello.
Our outdated kitchen has a soffit we would dearly like to get rid of. There are recessed fluorescent light boxes and a can light in there.
I went to the attic space and through a tiny hole could see the area above the soffit. I admit the images are not optimal but I think I get an idea. Particularly that nothing grossly crossing over the soffit area such as pipes, ducts, etc.t looks to me the exhaust from the oven will need to be adjusted a bit.
Overall I hope that it is as simple as making the ceiling flush with the adjacent area.
Of note, we are. It going to DIY this, I am goin got have some contractors come in and give their opinion and estimates. But I believe it’s in the customer’s best interest to know as much as he/can about their situation before talking with contractors.

Thanks!

0A1B3E10-87C4-49DA-895D-4A941AEE9015.jpg

EFE725AF-71CA-408E-BE81-56E9E0463F30.jpg

Have you looked to see if the cabinets are attached to the dropped ceiling?

In the removal process of the dropped ceiling, are you going to leave a soffit above the cabinets?

What is you eventual lighting plan?

The cabinets are attached but we will be replacing the cabinets and likely going with taller ones that go to the ceiling. We will be going without a soffit.
Lighting initial plan is for can lights as we have liked those in the past.

Thanks.

The whole project, depending upon your knowledge of drywall, texturing and elec., is pretty much a DIY.

The biggest challenge will be the matching of the skip-trowel ceiling texture.

I was starting to wonder that too. The stove duct would be perhaps the only thing needing augmentation.
We have dry walled numerous wall areas in the past, but never a ceiling. I would prob rent a lift. We are considering our options on the kitchen ceiling finish. We are trying to figure if a different ceiling finish all together would work bc we can see how hard it would be to get a flawless continuity.

Since you are replacing the cabinets, are you also changing the kitchen layout, including the appliances?

Concerning the ceiling, there are several option; 36", crown molding and above and/or under LED lighting, or 42" uppers, with the existing 30", or new, leaving an 18" soffit with 4" cans, a 24" soffit and 6" cans, reusing the existing finished light box frame as an architectural element to define centered cans.

The exhaust vent is easily accomplished, just don't use flex-i-duct.

If you are changing the layout, decide that 1st, then with the new design, stand in the kitchen and cook a meal, to find out if what you plan, will work.

Latest posts

Back