Leak near hose bibb

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
THis morning I went to use my hose for the first time since fall... The water pressure was very low and then I notice water coming out of the bottom of the house on the slab. But it stops when I close the water hose faucet Is this a leak having to do with the hose bibb? Seems like it would continue to leak even if I have the faucet closed. Anyone have any idea? I can see it unless I take out a wall or floor.

If you have left the hose connected all winter and the water could not drain out of the faucet, it will freeze. Many of them have the valve 8 or 10 inches inside so they don't freeze but if the water can't drain.
Can you post a picture of it?

I attached two pictures... you can see two little slots in the brick where the water was coming out... there is two bedroom behind the floor near the wall was damp some. I think the pipe is running between those two bedrooms

faucet 1.JPG

faucet 2.JPG

Frost-proof-hose-bib-pic.jpg

sounds like a frost proof hose bib. if you do not open and drain they will freeze.

to replace. unscrew, replace

cross your fingers the plumber was not a bone head, and strapped the 90

images (6.jpe

Last edited:
Frost-proof-hose-bib-pic.jpg

sounds like a frost proof hose bib. if you do not open and drain they will freeze.

to replace. unscrew, replace

cross your fingers the plumber was not a bone head, and strapped the 90

And turn off the whole house water supply before attempting.

Thanks for all the help... First time I have logged on to this site and very helpful. Appreciate it.... Pretty easy now that I understand how that works.

Okay, so dumb question: why bother with a frost free faucet that can freeze?????:confused::confused:
And how do you get the water out in the winter?

Disconnect the hose every time you use it in the winter time. It does slope down from the valve inside.

Latest posts

Back