More Problems Than A Preacher!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM1959

Reaction score
Hello to all, a newbie here. Need professional installers advice. I am working on an Amarr 16 x 8 sectional non-insulated door with torsion springs (2) Been in place 18 years. Five years ago the black painted spring broke, I replaced with another. Last week it broke again. So, as I am told, in reality the red spring that was original should have broke next as it has had more use by cycles of up and down. At the same time of this latest break the carriage on the Genie screw drive stripped out. Seems to me we have inadequate springs that do not give enough lift for the weight of the door, to me, they just look small. They are 2" ID, .200 size wire, maybe .207- .210 and their length is about 24". I have seen others that were 30" to 40" long and had a thicker wire size. Any direction here. Did my garage door supplier skimp on my spring size way back when it went out for bid???? Thanks to the Forum.

If the MFG is still I business, call their customer service and ask what their spec for spring is.

Latest posts

Back