Moss under steel roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpglinka

Reaction score
I have an A frame that develops green moss on the existing asphalt shingles. Want to put steel roof on purlins. Will the moss grow under neath or will the lack of light stop it?

Welcome to the forum.

I have a steel roof on purlins over my existing old shingle roof on house and rolled roofing on garage. It has become very popular around here over the last 30 years and I didn’t jump on this method of roofing for many years for many of the same concerns you are having. Ours is just a few years old now but there is some good history now on this method around here as about 20% of the homes here have done this.

I have heard hardly any complaints about doing roofs this way. The majority negative opinion is people that just don’t care for the look of the metal. Some others warn that in the case of fire the roof will not let the fire thru or the firemen can’t open the roof to let in water or won’t go on a steel roof. Mine is to steep and to high anyway. Insurance companies don’t seem to have an issue with the roofs done this way nor to the code enforcement folks.

For moss or anything else to grow on your roof it needs air, sun and water and you will be stopping 2 of the three. So I would say you might get some on the outside still but unlikely on the underside. I get some on my vinyl siding on the cool shady sides of the house that I pressure wash off. So far I haven’t noticed much on the roofing. Being smooth unlike shingles it has nothing to get a grip on might be why.

We are very happy with ours and the cost was about the same as a shingle job and if what I’m seeing the life should be much longer. I wouldn’t let the fear of moss be a factor.

Latest posts

Back