Moving

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ileyn

Reaction score
I am looking into moving to New York, I am from California, and i need to take the furniture from my house with me, does anyone know the prices and if I can do that?

I am looking into moving to New York, I am from California, and i need to take the furniture from my house with me, does anyone know the prices and if I can do that?
You can move just about anything if you're to pay the price. The cheapest way would be to rent a truck or trailer and DIY. There are a lot of moving companies. You can search and find them and get some idea of the cost. From my 1 experience I'll tell you be cautious they will nickle and dime you to death. If you don't fill the truck your stuff will go to a central location to be combined with other small loads. You'll get it when you get it not necessarily when you want it. It's a hassle. Just my experience.

Do not trust any on-line moving companies. We chose one out of NJ and they stole over $5,000 of our belongings and took over a month to deliver (while the went through all our boxes) and we had to hire a PI in NJ to get them to deliver.

Do not trust any on-line moving companies. We chose one out of NJ and they stole over $5,000 of our belongings and took over a month to deliver (while the went through all our boxes) and we had to hire a PI in NJ to get them to deliver.
Yes, I second that! We moved in 2020 from California to Alabama and used an online mover. What a horror story! The day of the move, they doubled the price, said we mid-calculated the amount of stuff. Isn’t it their job to estimate the cost of the move? What do you do? Our old house was sold and we needed to be out. The moving company made it sound like the movers might make it to our new house in Alabama before us so we needed to hurry to get there! Ha Ha, joke Is on us! It took 6 weeks for most of our stuff to arrive. Some stuff never arrived but we got somebody else’s stuff. The car transport was a no show. I got a relative to drive the third car. I called the transport company (who I had given a deposit to) and they said the pick up date was just approximate. They thought we would just leave the car on the street with the keys in it.

The moving industry is crooked as heck! Be careful.

There's a video of a moving company (I think possibly in NJ) where 3 young women paid them to move their stuff. When they got to the place to unload, the movers opened up the truck and then wanted like $1k more than they had agreed upon in order to move the stuff out of the truck. The ladies argued with them and then one of them said "Fine, I'll unload it myself!" and stepped inside to start grabbing boxes. Dude pulled the door down and locked her inside and demanded $ to let her out while she was pounding on the door and screaming to be let out. The other two started freaking out and called the cops and said that it was kidnapping and it was a hot day with no AC in the back of the truck. Movers realized they were going to be in trouble so they let her out before the cops arrived, but the women still had the footage of the guy locking her in and making threats. Cops told them they could avoid being arrested (if the ladies agreed) if they carefully unloaded all of the stuff into the new place without trying to extort more $. They then supervised to make sure stuff didn't get broken.

We had problems with movers stealing stuff-- they stole 3 rolls of Forever Stamps from Mom's dresser, I kept catching them putting things in their pockets and had to tell them to give them back. They packed things very badly and ended up breaking some of our antiques. Some of the stuff was sent overseas with us and other stuff was put in storage. They stole an antique Hall Tree (mirror, coat hooks, and a bench seat) and claimed that it wasn't among the belongings-- they had marked it down as "coat rack". The original owner of the business passed away and his son took over. They tried to refuse to give us any of our stuff back at first but we had receipts showing we'd been paying them for storage and we had pictures of the hall tree. Apparently they had it in their home and had broken one of the hooks off of it. It had been wrapped up when they took it was completely unwrapped and had some wear and tear on it when we got it back. they also stole our Nintendo and a bunch of games. Those weren't even online movers.

The ones that unpacked here damaged my furniture with a box knife after I told them NOT to cut the boxes open and that we would do it.

Do, I say make sure you film the movers, get pictures of all of your belongings, document what went in which box, and watch them like a hawk.

Moving furniture from California to New York can be quite manageable, but it depends on a few factors like the amount of furniture and the moving company you choose. Generally, moving companies offer interstate moving services, and they'll provide you with a quote based on the distance, amount of furniture, and any additional services you might need (like packing).

Prices can vary widely, so it's a good idea to get quotes from a few different companies. Some companies may offer discounts or deals depending on the time of year and their current availability.

It's also important to plan ahead, especially if you have specific timelines or deadlines for your move. Many moving companies can accommodate long-distance moves, but booking early can ensure you get the dates that work best for you.

Hope that helps! Safe travels and best of luck with your move to New York!

Hey! Moved from Cali to NY a couple of years ago. It can get pretty pricey, especially if you’re hauling a lot of furniture. Best bet is to get quotes from a few moving companies—U-Haul, PODS, and even local movers.

I have always made local moves and did it myself with family and friends but I do have some input although somewhat anecdotal.

We answered an ad for someone here moving that was selling all her furniture. She was a young ER nurse and moving from PA to AZ for a better job. Her stuff was almost brand new and high quality, so I asked her why she wasn’t moving it? She told us well the new job was providing a cash moving allowance and she wasn’t sure how stuff would fit her new home or if it was the style she wanted in the SW. she figured if she could even get 1/3 of the price she paid for it she would be ahead just buying new what she wanted when she got there. We ended up buying at least half of what she was selling and sent several friends over and they bought quite a bit.

Of course we are all different and have attachments to some family pieces and such. She whittled her stuff way down where she could rent a You-Haul and was going to take a week and with a family member drive out with her car.

If I make a big move, I'm just going to sell all my used furniture and purchase it at the new location. With moving costs, and the damage, I believe I would make out better and have fresh, new furniture at the new place.

My practice, in several moves, sell, dump, donate, in that order.

Back