Mushrooms

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by VanHalen, Jan 16, 2010.

  1. Jan 16, 2010 #1

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    Possessing minimal knowledge of DIY I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in , so apologies if it is inappropriate.

    Small mushrooms have recently begun to appear in my kitchen in the angle between wall and ceiling. The flat is in a 3 storey block on the ground floor and there is a small hole in the roof of the block which is currently being repaired.

    I have some photos of the offending fauna but my computer skills are on a similar level to my DIY so I would need instruction on how to upload.

    Can anyone please advise me on what the mushrooms indicate and what I should do.

    Any help is greatly appreciated

    Thanks, Alex
     
  2. Jan 16, 2010 #2

    Con65

    Con65

    Con65

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2010
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Alex:

    I'd think that the mushrooms indicate you have water problems from that hole in the roof. You may have had those problems for some time. The moisture has activated mold spores causing the mushrooms to grow. You may have other mold that might cause health problems.

    If I were you I would get a qualified mold inspector or repair contractor quickly. I've lived in London so I know finding reliable people with those skills can be difficult.
     
  3. Jan 16, 2010 #3

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    ah thanks, do you think it will be alright once the leak has been stopped and the area dries?
     
  4. Jan 17, 2010 #4

    Con65

    Con65

    Con65

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2010
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well, you can stop the leak, but that will not eliminate the mold problem. Even if you don't see the mushrooms anymore, the mold spores will remain.

    I would be concerned if I were you. Mold can be serious stuff. It can cause major health problems. Just last year, the Health Department had to demolish an historical building in our area because a dangerous mold was present.
     
  5. Jan 17, 2010 #5

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    i will get someone in to have a look tmrw if its that serious.

    do you think they will try and sell me more services than i require because to be honest i wouldnt know if they were trying to sell me unecessary extra work
     
  6. Jan 18, 2010 #6

    frozenstar

    frozenstar

    frozenstar

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2009
    Messages:
    253
    Likes Received:
    0
    Click the Post Reply button on this thread and it will open a reply form. You can upload a picture by clicking the "Manage Attachments" under the Additional Options below the reply box. A small window will open with an option to upload file from your computer or file from url. When you're done attaching the file, click the "Close this window" button. :)

    Hope you can post some pics. ;)
     
  7. Jan 18, 2010 #7

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm afraid they're not great quality...

    kitchen 001.JPG

    kitchen 004.JPG
     
  8. Jan 18, 2010 #8

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    If it does turn out to be caused by condensation, any idea how much it would cost to have an extractor fan installed?
     
  9. Jan 18, 2010 #9

    Con65

    Con65

    Con65

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2010
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    From how you described your flat, I'm assuming that there are other owner occupied flats in your building. I don't think that the moisture is limited to your flat.

    1) I'd get the other residents involved.

    2) Mold is serious, but probably not a panic situation. Take the time to find a reliable firm to evaluate your problem. I know that is difficult. In the US, I'd go to my local health or building department for advice. We also have independent building inspectors that will inspect a property before we purchase it. Expect to pay for advice.

    3) Some people will try to take advantage of you and some will not. Recommendations from friends are a good way to find someone.
     
  10. Jan 20, 2010 #10

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    VanHalen

    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    Turns out the cause was the washing machine upstairs leaking. This has now been rectified and following many more hours of dripping, the leak has stopped.

    What do I do now?
    The mould cleaner told me that I needed to cut out a section of the plaster board above and use anti fungal sprays throughout the affected area of the cavity and joists as well as spraying the floor above.

    Is this all necessary of should the problems disappear after the leak has been dealt with?
     
  11. Jan 20, 2010 #11

    oldognewtrick

    oldognewtrick

    oldognewtrick

    Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2009
    Messages:
    10,818
    Likes Received:
    1,435
    Do you own your flat or is this a rental? I think if you own, the neighbors homeowners insurance should pay to fix the damage or yours if they have no responsibility. If you rent I would contact the landlord and ask them to fix their ceiling.

    I have seen insurance companies pay to fix water damage but not repair the source of the leak.
     
  12. Jan 20, 2010 #12

    handyguys

    handyguys

    handyguys

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2008
    Messages:
    815
    Likes Received:
    2
    i would just clean the area dry it and get on with life
     
  13. Jan 20, 2010 #13

    Con65

    Con65

    Con65

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2010
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't believe that anyone can tell you if it is necessary without being on site to evaluate the problem.

    Why would you trust the opinions of people you don't know on an internet forum who have not seen the situation instead of the person who examined the situation and you (probably) paid to give you advice?

    If I pay someone to help me with a problem, I usually try to do what he tells me to do unless I have cause to distrust him.
     

Share This Page