New Leviton Decora Edge w/ lever nut connections

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zannej

Reaction score
Leviton has a patent pending on outlets and switches using mechanisms like the wago lever nuts.
There is a 15A tamper resistant outlet and two different 15A rocker switches- a single pole and triple pole (I think).
They are color coded but also have words on them to show where the hot, neutral, and ground go.
They come with extra plastic in case someone cut holes too large in the walls but a piece can be snapped off to make it fit a regular outlet. There are grooves and bumps to make them line up properly when next to one another in say a double or triple gang box.
There are also test holes on the back so the voltage can be tested without removing the wires.
A guide on the bottom (I think) shows how far to strip the wire. It works like the lever nuts where you open it up, put the wire in, and then close it to secure the wires.

No exposed metal anywhere to cause accidental shock. I think it would be neat if it was clear so you could see the wire inside, but they might not be able to get away with that without fighting over the wago patent.
I have seen them for sale on Home Depot and they are reasonably priced. I hope they come out with more.

Anyone here tried these yet?

!st, the holes in the back, ARE NOT, test holes, and are where you insert the conductors after the "WAGO" is opened, and in that fashion, are similar to the "plug-n-play" backstabs.

While they may convenient for the casual homeowner/DIY, I would like to see over time durability standards, because the "plug-n-play" backstabs, over time and given the metal fatigue that occurs in the connectors, is where the backstabs fail.

Not for me.

While it is a cool concept, my favorite type of connection for a device is the screw/plate type of connection. Where you don't need to wrap the wire around a screw but the screw draws a plate up to make the connection. These are typically found on more expensive commercial grade devices like Eaton 20 Amp Commercial Duplex Outlet. They are quick to install, nearly as quick as a back-stab, and far easier to uninstall than a backstab. And provides a solid mechanical connection.

!st, the holes in the back, ARE NOT, test holes, and are where you insert the conductors after the "WAGO" is opened, and in that fashion, are similar to the "plug-n-play" backstabs.

While they may convenient for the casual homeowner/DIY, I would like to see over time durability standards, because the "plug-n-play" backstabs, over time and given the metal fatigue that occurs in the connectors, is where the backstabs fail.

Not for me.
According to the video by Leviton, there are additional holes in the side to be used for testing.

That info starts about 1:26 in that video. I got confused about the location.

I read something saying that AFCI outlets are now required in homes but that a single AFCI at the beginning of a run is sufficient and then something about cafci breakers.

According to the video by Leviton, there are additional holes in the side to be used for testing.

That info starts about 1:26 in that video. I got confused about the location.

I read something saying that AFCI outlets are now required in homes but that a single AFCI at the beginning of a run is sufficient and then something about cafci breakers.

On my basement project I had to install Arc Fault/GFCI breakers on all the circuits. As I understand it Arc Fault protection is required on most circuits these days. You can do it with an arc fault outlet on the first outlet in the circuit or with an arc fault breaker.

It does, in this new video, however the recep. from the 1st video, shown @ 26sec., is that depicted in the 1st video, without the test holes.
It's interesting that Leviton hasn't cleaned that up.

Still remains, not for me.

Like @Sparky617 said I also like the side clamp system. Most of the GFCI outlets have this setup. It is simple and secure and makes connecting 1-2 wires to each spot easy without bending loops. This to me looks a little like back stabs only the clamp adds better force and maybe makes pulling them out easier. I guess I like to feel how tight I make the connection.

Yeah, I've heard there is now a CAFCI breaker which handles more types of arcing but that afci is now required in new builds and sometimes in replacing older outlets. I need to figure out which are the older ones on my system because I think buying a single outlet will be cheaper than buying a breaker.

In the video where the guy tested it, it was MUCH harder to pull the wires out of the lever nut style. He said he was able to do it but it took a lot of force-- way more than would typically be put on the wires to pull them loose.

They don't make enough variety of options for those outlets yet and they aren't as sturdy as commercial outlets so I think I'll wait and see how those stand up over time (not buying them though).

I'll have to find video of how the Eaton duplex outlet connects.

Like @Sparky617 said I also like the side clamp system. Most of the GFCI outlets have this setup. It is simple and secure and makes connecting 1-2 wires to each spot easy without bending loops. This to me looks a little like back stabs only the clamp adds better force and maybe makes pulling them out easier. I guess I like to feel how tight I make the connection.
My caution still remains: will connection remain secure after metal fatigue, which results from heating/cooling cycles, the resulting historic failure of backstabs, which seldom occurs with screw and screw-clamp products, also be their downgrade.

This video shows the internal mechanisms of the switch. It compares a residential grade, the new decora edge, and a commercial grade outlet.

Probably have to follow the link to watch it on Youtube, but it's interesting. I'd want a commercial grade version with sturdier parts if they ever made one.

I am with @Sparky617 .
Back wired (not back-stabbed) connections (i.e. with the clamp plate) which will be found on a commercial grade receptacle seem like a more robust connection.

Some of my receptacles are back-stabbed. They were all the cheap ones as I didn't know the difference at the time. I have only had one failure and that was due to using a 1500 W quartz heater on it for a couple of winters. IIRC I didn't use back-stab on that one. I think I only used back-stabs at the end of a run.

I appreciate the thoughts. So, general "No" on these residential grade Leviton thingies. If they get the patent for them maybe they will make them in commercial grade quality.

This video shows the internal mechanisms of the switch. It compares a residential grade, the new decora edge, and a commercial grade outlet.

Probably have to follow the link to watch it on Youtube, but it's interesting. I'd want a commercial grade version with sturdier parts if they ever made one.

I like this guy! I watched another of his videos and learned something.

Here

His use of Wago + Pigtails + Decora Edge is a winner in my book. Very neat and no exposed wires. I know many will not like anything new but this is a neat and safe install method. I'd use it.

The idea of exposed wires and screws that are hot inside the box is kinda cave-man-ish IMO. I like the idea of having no exposed wires or screws that are hot.

I need to replace some switches that I recently installed but now I want to change them over to dimmers. Unfortunately, It looks like Leviton doesn't make dimmers in the Edge line yet.

I agree with Ron there is nothing wrong with progress. Some of the issues will be that back stabs were a similar innovation that was a total fail by most accounts and this design brings that previous design to mind for many people. There will also be a price jump for this for a very long time assuming this catches hold and takes over. It is tough to compete with the billions of screw connections out there.

For me if they would have went with a back stab / no bend to the wires idea with a screw on the outside that I could feel how tight the connection was being made and I cold tug on the wire and feel it locked down. The counter to that argument is we all have a different feel for how tight a connection needs to be and something like this cam lock could be better as it makes everyone do it the same similar to having a torque spec on a screw connection.

I have seen a lot of sketchy ways people have stripped and attached wires to a screw head also. With plastic boxes the side connections are pretty safe if a cover is put in place.

One thing I liked in the video with these new ones is that they space and align each other perfectly. That would be really nice in multi device boxes and getting the faceplate on.

Leviton is a quality brand and I feel good about their product working as stated. Once these take off the cheap China knockoffs will flood the market and sell for under a buck. Those will be the ones we see having issues.

bud, I did like the spacer thing for fitting in the boxes properly. That is a nice idea. In one of the videos testing it out, the guy showed how hard he had to pull to get backstab out vs how hard he had to pull to get them out of decora edge and he said it required a hell of a lot more force which would be more than would occur naturally or even if someone was just tugging on a wire. I think that if they used transparent plastic to see the wire inside that would be an improvement. I also like the inline wago lever nuts. The price on these outlets is actually not as high as I expected. Less than $4 before tax.

Ron, that is one of the videos that I found before seeing the leviton decora edge video. I want to add an outlet to my hallway. I have a light switch in that hallway and zero outlets in that entire hallway so I can't plug in a vacuum. I do like his system with no exposed wire.

That is a nice idea. In one of the videos testing it out, the guy showed how hard he had to pull to get backstab out vs how hard he had to pull to get them out of decora edge and he said it required a hell of a lot more force which would be more than would occur naturally or even if someone was just tugging on a wire.

I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt the problem with back-stabbed (or any connection, for that matter) is the wire pulling out. I have never heard of a properly installed wire pulling out of a switch or receptacle on its own. A quick tug on the wires after installation simply provides some evidence that the connection has been performed properly.

The back-stabbed connection has a very good connection where the terminal cuts into the wire, but the amount of area of contact there is too small to carry much current. Surely that is not the only intended contact, but so many reports of back stab failures means the other contact area is less than perfect.

The lever style connection certainly has the possibility of providing intimate contact over a bigger area of the copper wire. But not knowing the tolerance stack up of the lever components and the wire, means I need to have a certain amount of faith in the integrity of the connection.

Back-wired connections (with the clamp plate) gives a large contact area, and I can see and feel a tight connection. (I probably should be using a torque screwdriver, but that's on me)

Even the old fashioned screw terminals have been proven by millions of installations to work just fine. Possibly some rookies don't hook the wire around the screw, or even wrap it in the wrong direction.

I found this wire job in our house from the previous owner.

758CA8EB-D21E-4119-896F-51E422B0EF90.jpeg

The ground wire is being used as the neutral but on the wrong terminal. The black wire is on the neutral terminal but at least the wire is wound the correct way! I have found several wired wrong but most use the white wire at least.

Latest posts

Back