New Porch Waterproofing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florentinepogen

Reaction score
Hello. Please see attached photos. The first photo is my house and a crude drawing of a porch i am putting in. It will be built out of cinder block and clad with limestone block and the surface areas will be bluestone. I know it is not good practice to have masonry against wood. I plan to cut out the cedar siding around the area where the porch will be and have read about putting galvanized metal flasing where the wood is. What do you think? How do i handle the threshold as to how far should the step down be to the porch? In the area marked "B", how would i finish the vertical joint where siding comes up to the new stone veneer? Leave a gap? And caulk?

In the area marked "A", i have seen where a piece if copper is placed behind the siding where ut would meet the bluestone surface with a kerf cut in. I posted pics as well. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180415_182159.jpg
    20180415_182159.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 19
  • porch4.jpg
    porch4.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 19
  • porch6.jpg
    porch6.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 15
Sounds like you're on the right track. I prefer a small drop from the interior floor level to the porch level as a way to reduce the chance of wind-driven rain from getting in. Something around an inch is sufficient. This may require adding support under the threshold edge. Make sure your foundation is done well as you're talking about a lot of weight here and settling is very possible.

Phil

It looks good! I agree with Phil that foundation is key to avoid any damage from happening.

Latest posts

Back