Novice needs help on repairing + protecting/weatherizing outside wood paneling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenji

Reaction score
Hello all,

Received a very warm welcome here. I hope to help as much as I learn around here. Anyway, my brother and Dad, who are no longer here, were amazing with tools, electrical, and home repairs. I am mechanically inclined and work on my motorcycle and to a limited extent my car when I can and certainly have worked on several small things. However, while my father and brother were around, I definitely should have learn more from them. Kicking myself.

Anyway, I have some wood repairs on wood cladding, paneling, etc outside. I live in NY so we get cold winters and hot summers. It definitely does a number to things on the outside. Some wood damage was done over time due to a panel not being fully sealed and protected. Other areas are just exposed wood that need protection. The pictures and explanations will explain things better.

Towards the back of the house the ground floor has brick and I guess something like a concrete stucco that leads to wood paneling. On the ground floor there is a small toolroom/work shop. The toolroom extends beyond the brick wall so there is an overhang like a soffit only it's not the roof. It has exposed wood. It's basically the same thing on the 2nd floor. It has wood cladding with a solarium section that is a TV/living room. It extended past the toolroom wall so there is another overhang and exposed wood. The ground floor overhang is just a rectangle with no obstructions. The TV overhand has pylons and struts going into it for support.

So here are the pics and further explanation & my questions. It is basically split into two things. The repair and the steps to help prevent future damage.

So here the wood paneling meets the concrete wall & brick below. When they built it there was a space left over. No one noticed but then I noticed the wood damage at the bottom. The gap was like an inch but went from the top to the bottom. Insulation was showing. So water crept in and rotted from inside out. Luckily it is basically at the bottom. It will be tricky as I have to surgically remove the damaged wood. There is also raised wood pieces which basically give it the look of the wood cladding having panels, if you get what I mean. So I put some Loctite sealing foam there temporarily to seal it. My question is, what should I do to permanently seal it? It is too large to caulk and the foam works great but ugly. am going to cut the foam away to even it out with the surface. Then I was thinking I could add a treated wood strip, waterseal stain it and then caulk it with some trim sealant. Or should I try to continue the concrete and use some Quickcrete, paint it white, and then caulk it?

IMG_4201.jpg
IMG_4202.jpg

Now here are the "overhangs" The first floor overhang juts out over a brick wall. underneath it is totally flat except it has a wood strip at the edge that measures about 3/4" x 2.5" x 132" You can see it in the pic. In another pic I outlined the general area of the strip with the red annotation. Some rain dripped down at the end and corner sticking out and rotted the very end of the wood strip underneath. Luckily it is only a small damage area but it is also just ugly underneath with the exposed wood. As far as the exposed wood. After I repair the wood, should I use a water seal or stain on it? It has an overhang on the 2nd floor too, but it has an uneven surface as you'll see from the pics. Buttress, slats or gussets from the support pylons go into you. How do I prevent rain from catching underneath the overhang? Should I use some tin roofing or soffit panels to cover this area up? The 2nd floor would be tough as again, it is not an open area. But open to any ideas or thought?

I am going to get some pressure treated wood, cut out the small damaged areas and hopefully seamlessly repair it. I have to replace that strip underneath and also replace the bottom trim on the right wall where the white gutter is. I still have some of the Behr wood stain/paint that was used.

So it is basically fixing and sealing that area where the foam is so the water damage doesn't happen again, and it is protected between the wood and concrete. Then as far as the overhangs, I want to see what might be the best route for staining or painting it to waterproof it, and then maybe use some tin roofing slats or soffit panels to cover and protect those exposed wood overhangs. The first floor might be easy with a single tin roof panel covering it up. The 2nd floor overhang will be a challenge with the uneven surfaces and those struts sticking out of it.

Thanks for looking and thanks for any help or ideas! Happy Father's Day as well. Holidays are bittersweet for me now as both my mother and father are gone.:( My only brother passed and I am unmarried and no verified children. We'll see one day I guess. Frankly, I should have several children, but somehow escaped that. Anyway, hope everyone us having a nice Sunday and Holiday. Cheers! :):cool:

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4204.jpgIMG_4205.jpgIMG_4206.jpgIMG_4207.jpgIMG_4208.jpgIMG_4209.jpgIMG_4210.jpg

Latest posts

Back