Old Oak Hardwood - New Prefinished

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharoon

Reaction score
I have what I referr to as old fashioned solid hardwood flooring that is finished naturally.

I would like to put hardwood in the rest of the downstairs of my house, but I'd really like to get prefinished hardwood. The floors will not touch each other, but will both been seen from the kitchen and both have doorways off them into the kitchen.

Has anyone had any luck matching up old flooring with new prefinished? I wondered if I should do something totally different, if this would look better. The old flooring is 1 3/4" wide. I found out that Mirage make a 2" flooring that is very similar to what I now have.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

One thing to keep in mind is that hardwood prefinished or not changes color over time. New will change faster than old so even if you got a close match it may not match later. My wife and I had the same similar problem and we tried to match it, well its close but can definetly see the difference. But to be totaly honest I hardly ever notice it unless I am cleaning it.
Welcome to the site my fellow Canadian, getting cooked out over there yet

Thanks...that is definitely a good point. I know that the light definitely creates fading.

From what you've said you tried the match thing. Would you be able to tell me the product you found you thought worked for you? Not sure if I'm to using brand names on the forum though...(I just thought of this).

It nice and hot here in Ontario....our biggest heat wave of the year. I'm heading to California in a couple weeks to visit my son...and it's very hot there, so I better get climatized before I go.

Would you be able to tell me the product you found you thought worked for you?
Bruce Pre finished, By the way what are the rooms, have you thought about tile, not sure if that will work though

Latest posts

Back