Overhead Garage Shelving Support Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, so here's what I'm trying to do.

I am adding interior shelving around the perimeter of my 1950's garage. It's unfinished and there is no drywall, but otherwise a lot like the attached picture. It will be used to store light duty stuff; spare tires and heavier items will not be stored on these. The shelving is basically a 2x4 frame with plywood screwed onto the frame. It is supported on the back against the wall on a 2x4 cleat screwed into the upright 2x4s of the walls. In the front, I want to hang 2x4s from the rafters to the 2x4s of the shelves for support.

And here is my question....the 2x6s of the rafters run north-south, while the 2x4s for the shelving run east-west. The 2" side of the 2x4 needs to be mounted against the 6" side of the rafter.

Rather than try drilling 4" + long holes for screws/nails or lag bolts into the 2x4s, I'd like to find some metal brackets at a local hardware store to connect the 2x4s to the 2x6s. I'm not thinking of the shiny plated L-shaped brackets, but instead the stamped and formed steel kinds often used on decks, etc.

To do it yourself me it makes sense, but I wanted to see what experts would say.....

Thanks,

vincesuspended-garage-storage-01.jpg

Last edited:
I"m far from being an expert at anything but, I think Joist hangers will do the trick just fine.

Back