Painting nonskid on plywood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I want to paint a sheet of plywood with something that will make it more grippy.

I am using it to load my motorcycle into my truck, and would really like not to slip and hurt myself, or my bike.

I agree on the truck bedliner. I used that to coat the deck on my scaffolding 1/2" plywood.. It's had several years of abuse and and is still going strong.

You could always sprinkle a little sand over the fresh bedliner for extra traction.

Rubbery surfaces can be slippery when wet. Cleats on the walking area would be better, like what you see on boat dock ramps.
Old fishing docks had a smooth side for dragging gear and a wood cleat every 18" or so for walking. On the ocean the ramp could be very steep or almost level by tide.

This is what my plywood decked scaffold looked like new and one after years of abuse. I sprayed under coat on the bottom side of the plywood. Over the years it's been through rain, snow, signs and tools drug across it, stuff dropped on it and paint spilled on it, solvents spilled on it, and it keeps on going.

Neal makes a good point about slippery on a grade. Maybe add cleats and coat the whole thing with bedliner. Mine doesn't get slippery when I'm out in the rain, but cleats would give you more traction regardless. Bolt some small angle iron to the plywood?

Attachments

• Scaffold deck.jpg
    Scaffold deck.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 10
  • scaffold 1.jpg
    scaffold 1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Scaffold test 2.jpg
    Scaffold test 2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Scaffold 2.jpg
    Scaffold 2.jpg