Painting unknown wood?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsStark

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Truly I'm not sure if the replies and advice in my previous painting thread, about prepping and painting baseboards, applies to this... My linen cabinets. Like before I'm wanting to also paint these white, but these are proving to be a much tougher nut to crack.

I have absolutely no idea what type of wood or composite they're made of, and I know that's the first step in properly prepping them to be painted. They're very porous and splinter incredibly easy. I searched all over the web and THINK they might be Cedar or Oak... So I guess this is where I first need help.

They also appear to be coated in some type of glaze or varnish, which again, I have no idea how to be certain of what. I've sanded down some screw holes, that were splintering, and beneath the coating the wood is a blonde-strawberry color. I was afraid of sanding too much, so I stopped when I saw the lighter wood tone. I don't know if this helps at all in identifying what I'm working with.

Thank you!!

IMG_0048.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

It looks like fir plywood and the subsequent plys are just fillers.

The finish was probably an oil based lacquer so you'll need a good transitional primer to paint with a water based product.

That is definitely fir plywood. A light sanding first and then a good primer over that should give you a base for your finish paint.

Latest posts

Back