Patch a Chimney Hole in Metal Roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNYCdb

Reaction score
I have a garage (uninsulated) that at some point must have had a wood stove in it as there is a section of chimney pipe sticking through the metal (standing seam) roof. Unfortunately without the actual stove to anchor it the pipe has bent and the cap come off. I want to just remove it and patch the hole, but I'm not clear on what the best way to patch the hole is. There is no decking under the metal roof (just what I would call furring strips mounted to the top of the trusses, though I'm not sure that's the right term). I'm not really concerned with looks so I'm just looking for suggestions on what the easiest way to patch the 6" hole is.

I am only guessing but I would think cut a similar metal patch with a couple of inches overlap. Clean the area, apply a good sealant and fasten to the panel (not to any of the structure) with metal roofing sheet metal screws. Wipe clean any sealant that squeezes out.

Maybe someone that has actually made a repair will comment.

When I had metal roofing put on the garage and house I saved quite a pile of scraps that have came in handy quite a few times. Because the color matches it is great to have some material to cut patches and such from.

I would do much like @Eddie_T suggests and cover the area with a patch. Sometimes if you have scraps like I have you can cover over a full span and then it is much more invisible as a patch.

Another idea if it would help with heat building up in the garage would be to cover the hole with a roof vent.

Latest posts

Back