Patio with half pipe drain- need to cover

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krkh1223

Reaction score
Hello! On our patio we have this channel type drain that goes about 12 feet or so underground after the patio ends and comes out where that purple blob is in the photo.

I just want something to cover it so the kids don’t trip on it. My best thought was something like a floor register - but most likely they will kick these or otherwise remove and repurpose them (3 boys- very busy brains).

It is about 3.5 inches across and varying depths leading to the pipe.

Any help is appreciated. We did get an estimate to remove all concrete and do pavers which he could pitch a certain way to eliminate the drain, but I’m not sure we want a full demo job.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2150.jpeg
    IMG_2150.jpeg
    1.9 MB
Welcome.
How about a photo of the purple blob, unblobed?

There are any # of landscape drain termination boxes, and for children, there is a learning curve.

Welcome.
How about a photo of the purple blob, unblobed?

There are any # of landscape drain termination boxes, and for children, there is a learning curve.
Hi! Thank you- the part I am looking to cover is the carved out concrete half pipe at the border of the patio. I will attach a clearer photo - I’m new on here so appreciate the help!

Hello! On our patio we have this channel type drain that goes about 12 feet or so underground after the patio ends and comes out where that purple blob is in the photo.

I just want something to cover it so the kids don’t trip on it. My best thought was something like a floor register - but most likely they will kick these or otherwise remove and repurpose them (3 boys- very busy brains).

It is about 3.5 inches across and varying depths leading to the pipe.

Any help is appreciated. We did get an estimate to remove all concrete and do pavers which he could pitch a certain way to eliminate the drain, but I’m not sure we want a full demo job.

Thank you!
IMG_2267.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    2.8 MB
There are systems available, however you've likely found the expense prohibitive. There are also flat grates made from steel which mite be tough on the feet, which would require some saw cutting to widen the trench slightly to fit, which, were it I, and it's not, would be the simplest DIY solution.

This being that example; https://www.amazon.com/Standartpark-Galvanized-Stamped-Internal-Trench/dp/B01KY1IFNS?ref_=ast_sto_dp
This was exactly the one I had looked at and also was worried about catching toes/feet as well. I guess I could cover it with another light rug or something .

I appreciate the feedback very much- might just have to bite the bullet and redo the patio… my kids would love the mini excavator anyway- ha.
Thank you again!!

Is it acceptable in appearance to put slag sand in the channel, leveling it flush?

A house I once owned had almost exactly what is in your photo. Slag sand was my solution.
Slag Sand can be easily compacted with a board & hammer to leave a very hard, walkable & driveable surface, similar to concrete. (Too hard for the boys to dig.)

Water drains through it readily. Ice doesn't heave it. Snow can be shoveled from it without digging into it. And, the boys will have a very hard time digging it up once compacted.

In the many steel mills around the Rust Belt where I've done wiring projects, slag sand usually is what the roads and truck & car parks are paved with. Often local city roads, sidewalks and parking lots are made of slag sand in steel towns.

Paul
PS: I laughed when I read about the boys re-purposing channel drain grates.
Being still a boy at heart, it wasn't hard to think of 20 Non-Mom-Sanctioned things to do with those!

As for slag sand, if the boys drill a hole & shove in a firecracker, slag sand blows up into a spectacular cloud of dust. (Not that I've ever done it...)

Is it acceptable in appearance to put slag sand in the channel, leveling it flush?

A house I once owned had almost exactly what is in your photo. Slag sand was my solution.
Slag Sand can be easily compacted with a board & hammer to leave a very hard, walkable & driveable surface, similar to concrete. (Too hard for the boys to dig.)

Water drains through it readily. Ice doesn't heave it. Snow can be shoveled from it without digging into it. And, the boys will have a very hard time digging it up once compacted.

In the many steel mills around the Rust Belt where I've done wiring projects, slag sand usually is what the roads and truck & car parks are paved with. Often local city roads, sidewalks and parking lots are made of slag sand in steel towns.

Paul
PS: I laughed when I read about the boys re-purposing channel drain grates.
Being still a boy at heart, it wasn't hard to think of 20 Non-Mom-Sanctioned things to do with those!

As for slag sand, if the boys drill a hole & shove in a firecracker, slag sand blows up into a spectacular cloud of dust. (Not that I've ever done it...)
Thank you so, so much for this thoughtful and super informative response. I especially appreciate the ways it will be “boy -proof” and how it acts in the extremes- we’re in New England so we never know what we get weather wise!

If my boys progress at the rate they are going- I don’t see fireworks too far off in the future… the other day the middle one asked me for a ladder- when I wondered why, he just casually said, “I’m going to climb up on Grandma’s roof real quick”…

So, I definitely need all the help I can get- thank you again!

the other day the middle one asked me for a ladder- when I wondered why, he just casually said, “I’m going to climb up on Grandma’s roof real quick”…
Your kids sound like they're loads of fun! Creative geniuses, for sure. (Exasperating at times, I'd imagine...., but still fun!)

Back